Gettysburg Battlefield Pick-ups

Texas Johnny

Corporal
A company Rare Collectibles is advertising the sale of the "JT Hays Gettysburg Collection." They claim that a JT Hays picked up a number of firearms and other items off the battlefield in 1863 and took them to Emmitsburg, where they have been in the family ever since. They say they bought the collection from a descendant, John Hays, and are now selling the items. For example look at this Colt Army, www.rarecollectiblestv.com/colt-1860-army-revolver-74730-1862.html, where they claim (watch their video) it was picked up off the battlefield. Does anyone know about the Hays Collection? I have googled it and the only thing I have found about it is an account at, www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/hays/hays_part2.htm, by William Hays who said his grandfather went to the battlefield and came home with a wagon full of firearms, bayonets, and cannon balls. Anyone have any additional information on this collection?

I have no specific information on the Hays collection, but note that a circa 1858 map of Frederick County, Maryland includes a street map of Emmitsburg that shows a "T. and [?] T. Hays Foundery [sic] & Machine Shop in town:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3843f.la000292/?r=0.565,0.014,0.182,0.094,0

Certainly many locals and visitors scavenged the battlefield. However, anyone caught bringing off firearms or other serviceable accouterments from the field after the battle was liable to arrest by the provost marshal's office in Gettysburg and sometimes the offender was put to work burning or burying dead horse or mule carcasses as punishment.

I have no specific information on the Hays collection, but note that a circa 1858 map of Frederick County, Maryland includes a street map of Emmitsburg that shows a "T. and [?] T. Hays Foundery [sic] & Machine Shop in town:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3843f.la000292/?r=0.565,0.014,0.182,0.094,0

Certainly many locals and visitors scavenged the battlefield. However, anyone caught bringing off firearms or other serviceable accouterments from the field after the battle was liable to arrest by the provost marshal's office in Gettysburg and sometimes the offender was put to work burning or burying dead horse or mule carcasses as punishment.
Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Back