Gettysburg battlefield marathon 11/6

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

kwk63

Cadet
Does anyone know what kind of nuisance this causes? I will be there and just wondering if the roads are closed or what should I expect to not be able to do.

dlavin

First Sergeant
I'd check their website. I have looked at running this before but it doesn't run much through the park I don't believe so I decided against it. And 200 people isnt that many.

You want a real challenge for a half or full marathon. Run the Freedoms Run. Haha, the full starts in Harpers Ferry then goes on the C&O Canal to Sharpsburg and through Antietam battefield and finishes in Shepardstown WV. Its a great race that will give you an appreciation for the hills around Antietam. I've done that twice...the day after is ugly...

Yankeedave

1st Lieutenant
I'd check their website. I have looked at running this before but it doesn't run much through the park I don't believe so I decided against it. And 200 people isnt that many.

You want a real challenge for a half or full marathon. Run the Freedoms Run. Haha, the full starts in Harpers Ferry then goes on the C&O Canal to Sharpsburg and through Antietam battefield and finishes in Shepardstown WV. Its a great race that will give you an appreciation for the hills around Antietam. I've done that twice...the day after is ugly...
lol

dlavin

First Sergeant
On review of site, it does appear to go through the park. With only 200 people, I cant imagine it will cause too much of issues. Maybe some delays at road crossings but it doesnt seem like roads are closed?

EJ Zander

First Sergeant
Its the first year for this particular race. There will be traffic control assistance at intersections so hope everything goes smooth. Leaves will have peaked so hopefully that will keep traffic down. Ill just watch the runners. Mom was a marathon runner, Dad a biathlete. Me I only run from something or to something.

Private Watkins

2nd Lieutenant
This is the most challenging one I've done... high desert, up and down a mountain, deep sand around mile 21-22... "No mama, no papa, no Uncle Sam..."
http://bataanmarch.com
http://bataanmarch.com/about-the-course/

The year I ran it (2007), there were about 20 real Bataan March veterans who came in for the event; I'm not sure if there are any left anymore... As tough as the course was, I kept thinking about what those old vets went through, and that was inspiration enough to keep running. The old fellows sat right at the start/finish line pretty much the whole day, welcoming the finishers as they came in... It was a humbling experience to have pushed myself to what seemed like the limits of my own endurance, and then contemplate that my trial was nothing compared to what they went through.

Last edited: