Gettysburg Battle Baby

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Wallyfish

First Sergeant
I wás watching an American Battlefield Trust video that started on Coster Avenue and followed the Union retreat to near the Jr High. As they walked on York Street, it was mentioned that a home belonged to Jeremiah and Rebecca Howell Culp in July 1863. The story went on to say that couple had a baby born on July 4, 1863 and in honor of George Meade, they named that son Jeremiah Meade Culp. Thus the Battle Baby was born.

I thought that could be a great CWT trivia question, so I started to look for sources. I found a 1966 article which further adds that in 1865, they had another child that they named Harvey Reynolds Culp.

Newspaper Source

I always look for additional sources. I found Jeremiah Culp's find a grave detail and he is buried in Evergreen Cemetery, however it does not show those two children in the article. However there is an unknown child born in 1863. His wife's detail is the same.

Jeremiah Find a grave source

Rebecca Howell Culp find a grave source

Has anyone heard of this Battle Baby story? My curiosity is peaked. Could that unknow child who was born and died in 1863 be the Battle Baby? And what happened to the baby born in 1865 with the Reynold middle name? Thanks all.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!