Gettysburg back on the big screen

Sam, I actually missed all of the stuff except the white van. The guy who posted up those 25 mistakes must've been watching for all the inconsistencies. I was just watching the movie to see how closely it followed what I had read. Until my attention was brought to those errors I really didn't have a clue. I wasn't aware that exploding shells did not have the fiery aspect to them, back in those days. To be honest though, I had a problem with the action at the angle when the cannons were fired point blank at a group of guys and they all flew up in the air intact. Nobodys arm was missing, no heads or legs flying around, etc. but then I figured the Union artillerists were probably shooting Hollywood canister. It kills ya but doesn't disturb your makeup, costumes, or tear off any limbs, or mess with the choreography. :smile:

Terry

Henry V

In the begining of Shakespeare's Henry V the Chorus more or less apologizes that he will have to present the story of the great King and his victory at Agincourt in such a modest setting. ('This wooden O').

In a way we also have to forgive our modern day Choruses (John Ford..Ron Maxwell et al) for some things. Limbs and heads flying about we know happened but probably too gruesome to depict.

VS

:sabre:

"And if, on the latter day, all the arms and legs cut off, will come together, crying "we died at such and such a place."
Some swearing
some crying for a surgeon,
some for their wives, some upon the debts they owe,
some for their children, rawly left.
I'm afeared there are few who die well, who die in a battle."

Henry V

As usual Shakespeare says in best.

Henry V

While in France we went to Azincourt as the Frogs call it and walked the route of the battlefield. You can't walk across it as it's private farmland but a road at one end let's you see just how much of a funnel it is.

I think maybe I'd have chosen Pickett's Charge ahead of being a French knight facing the English archers and men at arms, who despatched the fallen French knights with a knife thrust through the eye hole of the armour.....yuk! :noway:

The end of that battle must have been gruesome! Plus Henry murdering all those prisoners didn't help either!

Back