1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Gettysburg and Vicksburg reenactors 1963

Discussion in 'Impressions of the Civil War' started by major bill, May 16, 2018.

1. major bill

major bill Colonel Forum Host

gett 2.jpg
    I was at an antique store yesterday and picked up the July 1963 National Geographic magazine that articles on the Centennial of the battles. I was wondering if these would past muster today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. major bill

major bill Colonel Forum Host

Is the officer sash a bit on the thin side? Are the women wearing correct clothing and hair styles?

getty 3.jpg

4. redbob

redbob Captain

Before they updated their documentary about the battle (in about 2010), the 1961 version of the NPS film about Shiloh featured Tennessee National Guardsmen in sort of military uniforms doing battle in 1862 with what appeared to be '03 Springfields.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. Cpl. Smith

Cpl. Smith Sergeant

Love that rollin' rhunder!!!!

6. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

1963...antique....hmmmm. I can remember '63.......

7. OldReliable1862

OldReliable1862 Private

Soon enough we'll be reenacting the reenactors reenacting the war.

8. captaindrew

captaindrew 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

We'll have to go back to blue jeans, red dyed long sleeve undershirts, yellow elastic suspenders, cowboy boots and hats, and the great Zouave Rifle. Was about the standard kit when I was a kid just starting out.

9. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Another photo that could have worked in "Caption This"

Waterloo50 and NH Civil War Gal like this.
  10. Tennessee_Mountainman

Tennessee_Mountainman Sergeant

Your avatar makes your jokes 3x funnier

11. Rusk County Avengers

Rusk County Avengers Corporal

Well I guess I can't rag on "Dismounted Cav." and other farby reenactors anymore, kinda hard to say their the worst reenactors in regards to authenticity after seeing that! lol.

12. captaindrew

captaindrew 2nd Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

They aren't actually too bad for their time. I've seen a lot worse, and recently

byron ed likes this.
  13. Cpl. Smith

Cpl. Smith Sergeant

Reenacting should be like wine. It should get better with age!

14. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

Those uniforms in the dancing photo look a bit too shiny for me.

Polyester?

ikesdad and Waterloo50 like this.
  15. byron ed

byron ed First Sergeant

The "Zouave" -- never called that at the time, is merely an 1863 Remington 2-bander -- is not nearly worthy of all the hate and derision smugly thrown at it.

It was a CW weapon produced during the CW, merely an updated re-order of the 1855 Harpers Ferry, which it resembles greatly but for very minor detail. Nothing notable from any distance at all, so for mainstream reenacting it's well within appearances for any unit whose legacy unit was issued 1855s. Consider that mainstreamers sleep in A tents on cots and wear big eyglasses -- two things to fix well before denying "Zouaves" on the field.

The history of deriding "Zouaves" goes back to the dawn of reenacting in the 1960s and 70s. Original 1863 Remingtons were still available in good shape. They weren't issued during the war so inventory was available through resellers, and the guns were (and are) an excellent period design. Good shooters many of them. Then Italian makers chose that pattern to make reproductions of (mistakenly estimating that since so many were in use with reenactors already that would be one that would sell well as a reproduction).

Forward some years as the post-1860 pattern Springfield and Enfield reproductions became available. 'Enactors began playing the "authentico" card, berating the "Zouves" as a joke because they personally had their authentic pattern Springfields and Enfields. It became an established Reenactorism to disrespect and deny the "Zouaves,"piled on with the reason that if used with 3-bander rifles in ranks it was not a safe scenario. That's true but has nothing to do with the gun itself. Ranks of only "Zouaves" are not unsafe.

ikesdad likes this.
  16. byron ed

byron ed First Sergeant

Just what in H is going on that the battery commander is issuing a fire command while standing directly in front of the muzzle on the end gun -- his back fully exposed to enemy fire. Ha!

jackt62 likes this.
  17. byron ed

byron ed First Sergeant

"Polly" and "Esther" were common girl's names in the CW. What's the problem? :smile:

18. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Major Silver Patron

I’d imagine that a lot of polyesters were hunted and killed just to make those uniforms, it’s a disgrace.

ikesdad, unionblue and O' Be Joyful like this.
  19. byron ed

byron ed First Sergeant

Why would you be ragging on Dismounted Cav? That's a totally legitimate and authentic impression, not exactly "farby" (to understand the meaning of that modern word that was never used in the actual CW).

Ok it's maybe used a bit too much, but at a typical reenactment the ratio of brass to enlisted is a way more "farby" thing if we're to rightly judge from worst to least.

20. grace

grace Corporal

I don't think I'd be comfortable without my petticoats and stockings on...unlike those dear ladies! *blush

Though the bloomers...and chemise skirt...yes, I have skipped those before. And rubber soles make dancing easier...I don't have the luxury of heel plates and leather soles are SLICK.

unionblue likes this.
  21. Cpl. Smith

Cpl. Smith Sergeant

Mabey the there needs to be a museum dedicated to reenactors.

ikesdad likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)