Gettysburg and Antietam with 3 year old...what not to miss

Nevermind the August heat. Think you've gotten the kid started on what was. It wasn't just a walk in the park. It was hot and it was cold. At three, it is a bit early to show the little bugger what it might have been like, but I'll bet he has an idea, already, about what it was like.

When mine were that small, I'd have had no idea of dragging them off to learn all that. Kudo's on you. They are both, now, probably older than you are. And I'd love to have that little guy as mine. Lordy, the tall stories I could tell him! And he would have his own dog. Sport or Buster or Sally.

Sorry. Just reliving a time that was. My kids were never without a dog or a cat or both. Is there a reason that yours doesn't have one?

Here I thought he was miserable the whole time and came home from the trip feeling pretty defeated. And since we got back on Wednesday, he has asked me a couple times about going back to Gettysburg, so he obviously enjoyed himself regardless. I am thinking of making this an annual pilgrimage for us...at least until he is a it older and would enjoy some of the more....serene?... Parks where there aren't as many distractions.

I've been really fortunate to have visited a few parks is year with historically accurate weather. I appreciate it, but I also have a good enough imagination that it isn't strictly necessary. :smile:

He does have a dog, or maybe it is more accurate to say his dog has a boy. He's a black Yorkie-poo of about 5 years old named Tyson, who judging by the messes I have found hidden behind some furniture, was revolting against the idea of not having joined us on the trip. My son looooooooooves dogs of all shapes and sizes.

A yorkie-poo is not a dog. If it's not bigger than a football, it's not a dog.

Sorry. I'm coming off as a nasty grampa. Consider this all as just an old guy's rant. I really did like the picutre of the kid loving Sally. Made me want to grab him up and give him a big hug. (And tell him that Tyson isn't a real dog.)

A yorkie-poo is not a dog. If it's not bigger than a football, it's not a dog.

Sorry. I'm coming off as a nasty grampa. Consider this all as just an old guy's rant. I really did like the picutre of the kid loving Sally. Made me want to grab him up and give him a big hug. (And tell him that Tyson isn't a real dog.)

Does it count if he THINKS he is bigger than a football?

We used to have a Golden Retriever that was the dumbest but sweetest dog you'd ever meet. I would love to have another Golden because they are just the greatest dogs with kids (except for that one down the street who is obviously a mutant because he is aggressive *side eye*) but my husband is allergic to dogs, so we have to have a low dander dog and one that is small so he can't destroy things (at least it takes time for him to do so....time during which we can intervene...hopefully).

Toni. I've had my share of stupid dogs, and a couple or two that were remarkable.

Dogs are special people. I think I've mentioned Sport. An amazing farm dog who sucked at being a town dowg. Or Marti, who was too stupid to live, but she was Dear One's dog, which made her immune from my taking her out to the back yard and ... never mind.

I do want another dog. Just can't get Dear One to agree. It's likely that she is right. I don't think I can handle taking another to the vet to be put down. Marti was about 16.

For anyone interested, here are some of my son's photos. His camera takes 1.3 megapixel photos so the quality isn't good, but considering he picked up a camera for the first time about 3 weeks ago, I think I may have a budding photog on my hands.

Attachments

• 100_0147.JPG
    100_0147.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0150.JPG
    100_0150.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_0156.JPG
    100_0156.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_0166.JPG
    100_0166.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_0177.JPG
    100_0177.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_0178.JPG
    100_0178.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_0180.JPG
    100_0180.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_0184.JPG
    100_0184.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_0191.JPG
    100_0191.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_0241.JPG
    100_0241.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_0248.JPG
    100_0248.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 132
Those of the statuary and cannon turned out really good! I see you made it to Antietam and Harpers Ferry too (the engine house).

Those of the statuary and cannon turned out really good! I see you made it to Antietam and Harpers Ferry too (the engine house).

We did Harpers Ferry mostly for the trains, which were oddly in short supply the day we went. 2 1/2 hours there and only one train, a late arriving eastbound Amtrak. What the heck CSX! A little help for a train lover!

He liked Burnside Bridge and the observation tower. And just yesterday he asked when we were going back to Nutter's.

Success, I think.

We did Harpers Ferry mostly for the trains, which were oddly in short supply the day we went. 2 1/2 hours there and only one train, a late arriving eastbound Amtrak. What the heck CSX! A little help for a train lover!

He liked Burnside Bridge and the observation tower. And just yesterday he asked when we were going back to Nutter's.

Success, I think.

Often times you can catch a train coming through the Railroad Cut at Gettysburg, or the tracks that run on the town side of Gettysburg between the college and the McClean farm. Just Friday, a CSX train came to a stop right at the bridge over the cut before going through west toward Chambersburg. I was able to video it for my son the train nut as it started up and went under the bridge--the engineer saw me at the bridge railing, waved and blew his horn!

So next time you and your little guy go to Gettysburg, hang out at the Railroad Cut.:smile:

Back