Gettysburg Address Dedication Day is Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Just a reminder that Dedication Day in Gettysburg is not the same event as the Remembrance Day Parade, although they are often confused because in some years their dates coincide.

Dedication Day is always held on Nov. 19 in the Soldiers National Cemetery starting early in the morning. This year it's on a Tuesday. So, if you go to the Remembrance Day parade Saturday expecting to see the reenactment of the Gettysburg Address, you'll be out of luck.

"November 19, the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address and the Dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery, was formally designated as Dedication Day, by a joint resolution of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, on November 19, 1946."

Dedication Day typically includes a high profile keynote speaker--one year it was Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia for example. There are also other speeches and a reading of the Gettysburg Address by a Lincoln Interpreter. One of the military service bands might be there to provide music along with a concert band from a local school. The National Park Service is also involved in the event. In addition, there's a swearing-in ceremony for new American citizens who have completed the naturalization process, which is followed by recorded comments from the President.

There is no parade connected with Dedication Day, but there is typically a short procession within the cemetery from the soldier's monument to the speaker's stand. The only reenactor presence in the ceremony is the Color Guard (of which I'll be part), and typically the bugler who plays Taps. Reenactors can attend the ceremony as spectators, but are not involved in the program and since no weapons are allowed in the cemetery by spectators, if you come in uniform, don't bring any. Otherwise, it's free and open to the public. Crowd sizes vary, but can be in the thousands, so come early if you want a seat!

For more information, see the Lincoln Fellowship website:
It's a great event--hope to see you there!

Here's a picture of the Color Guard from last year:
1.JPG

Here are the new American citizens being sworn-in last year:
0a1c4df3-262b-4873-a58c-578e42b0efcf-HES-DR-111918-dedicationday-04.jpg

A local school concert band in Civil War attire provided music last year. The Lincoln interpreter is also in this picture, as is the keynote speaker, the president of Gettysburg College.
46519694_1981018868631035_526062420641185792_n.jpg

In 2013, Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was the keynote speaker.
12418925_10153916395927432_147693529593966655_o.jpg

Last edited:
We had beautiful Fall weather for Dedication Day today Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019--temps in the mid-50s and lots of sunshine. Once again, I was in the Color Guard. The speeches were not too long and were interesting, and we even had sound effects this year--a construction truck nearby with its back-up beep-beep-beeper going incessantly, a dog barking loudly, and a helicopter flying so low and loud the keynote speaker had to stop until it passed over.

Nevertheless, there were about 1,000 people in the Soldier's National Cemetery--not bad for a Tuesday morning--including about 20 immigrants from all over the world who had fulfilled their citizenship requirements and were sworn in as US citizens.

Besides the speeches, a Lincoln interpreter read the Gettysburg Address, the Battle Hymn of the Republic was sung, as was the National Anthem. The Oath of Allegiance was recited by the new citizens, and they heard a recorded welcome from the president. Taps was played at the end.

I'll share any pictures that come out. In meantime, here's the cover of today's program:

Dayprog.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the program cover. I look forward to your pictures. I attended once and it was a memorable occasion.

Interestingly (... well, maybe to some), recent conversations "floating out there" ponder having all celebrations, memorials, etc. moved to weekends. I gasp as the thought. There is something sacred about remembering things on the actual date instead of moving it to Saturday or Sunday as it's assumed to be convenient to our modern way of life. It's great that Dedication Day will always been on the 19th of November.

Best Regards,
-Yulie

Last edited:
We had beautiful Fall weather for Dedication Day today Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019--temps in the mid-50s and lots of sunshine. Once again, I was in the Color Guard. The speeches were not too long and were interesting, and we even had sound effects this year--a construction truck nearby with its back-up beep-beep-beeper going incessantly, a dog barking loudly, and a helicopter flying so low and loud the keynote speaker had to stop until it passed over.

Nevertheless, there were about 1,000 people in the Soldier's National Cemetery--not bad for a Tuesday morning--including about 20 immigrants from all over the world who had fulfilled their citizenship requirements and were sworn in as US citizens.

Besides the speeches, a Lincoln interpreter read the Gettysburg Address, the Battle Hymn of the Republic was sung, as was the National Anthem. The Oath of Allegiance was recited by the new citizens, and they heard a recorded welcome from the president. Taps was played at the end.

I'll share any pictures that come out. In meantime, here's the cover of today's program:

View attachment 335096

Saw part of it on streaming. It was a great day. Now as to the Remembrance Day parade this upcoming Saturday, bring an umbrella and a warm waterproof coat!

Saw part of it on streaming. It was a great day. Now as to the Remembrance Day parade this upcoming Saturday, bring an umbrella and a warm waterproof coat!

Great you were able to catch it live--who was streaming it? I can't seem to find it.

Back