Research Getting the Elections results in 1860 - they where quick about it

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
So I was thinking. How much time id it take in 1860 for the final result to become known?

The election was held on Tuesday the 6th of November. Even if they had the telegraph, it was still not as widespread as a phone is today (and have been for decades) so getting the results to the relevant people in each state and then getting all the results might take some time...

Well I was wrong.
This from the 7th of November, so it do appear that they where pretty effective at this process.

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/551231 (more photos there)
image036.jpg

Guess some times a bit of paper and a telegraph are better tools than an app on a phone... :banghead:

My husband just pointed out to me that in the time of Lincoln, there were thousands and thousands of ballot counters on hand to count the ballots on Election Day.

Last edited:
The communications revolution that took place in the 1800's amazes me.

I read part of “The Personal Memoirs of Julia Dent Grant (Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant).” Julia Dent Grant (JDG) was born in 1826. In 1844, Samuel Morse sent the United State’s first telegram over a wire from Washington to Baltimore. (Congress partially funded this.) In 1845, JDG’s father, Frederick Dent, travelled from their home in St. Louis to Washington for business. He sent a telegraph to Baltimore. JDG wrote that her father received an answer within an hour and that “it savored of magic.” The event was such a big deal that Frederick Dent brought the telegraph repeater tape back home to St. Louis to show the family.

Then, by 1865, Grant travelled with his own personal telegraph operator. On the night Lincoln was shot, Grant and Julia were on a train on their way to New Jersey. They stopped in Philadelphia and ordered dinner at a restaurant. While they were at the restaurant, Grant received his personal telegraph advising him that Lincoln had been shot.

(In my mind, it seems to me like the 1865 equivalent of travelling with a cell phone.)