Getting Primped and Preened in the 19th Century

And this @LoriAnn...

hair_health.jpg

:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Some today need to have good manners and style their hair. Also the colors for hair are awful. I guess I am old fashioned. Love the styles and hair of yesteryear.
Donna, this made me giggle a little. I've been wanting to dye my hair various colors ~ we're talking a complete rainbow ~ for a while now, but two things keep me from doing it:

1) My husband, who has asked me very nicely to NOT do it. :laugh: "Please. Please don't."
2) The upkeep would be very demanding.

I suppose I would get tired of my rainbow hair and want my auburn back. You've seen how often I change avatars.

I wonder if the “fascination’ refers to the style of hat called a “fascishnator”. They were usually quite small and perched to the front of the hair, and as I understand it, the odder the better..”She’s got a dead bird on her head!”
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm just starting to get used to big sun hats. Not sure I could pull a funky fascinator off.

You girls are certainly quirky, but no more so than the fads of the 1800's :bounce:
When my hair was super short, I would wake up looking like Beaker. :D

Now my hair is long enough that I could have some fun with Victorian curls. I just don't know how to create them, nor do I know if I have the patience that is probably required.

I think they would suit you :smile:
My first thought was to get those curls rockin' for the Gettysburg reenactment this year, but in that heat, I bet they'd drop in 10 minutes. Plus I'll probably have a big floppy sun hat.

But didn't Scarlett have a big floppy hat at one point?

That's it. I'll just walk around with my camera like this.

scarlett-o-hara_650x400_51427423266.jpg

That'll totally look normal with my Iron Maiden t-shirt and yoga pants. :tongue:

The hair-brushing phenomenon began in 1862 when a 35-year-old English hairdresser, Edwin Gillard Camp, received a patent for his rotary hair brush – an innovation set in motion mechanically and guided around a person’s head by a skilled operator. The original machine was only for men. The brushes were thought likely to get tangled in the long hair worn by most women. This problem was solved in 1865 when Mr Neate of Southampton added another pulley on the floor, allowing the brush to be drawn downwards in one long sweep. Hair-brushing by machinery captured the public's imagination and became a Victorian sensation.

hair-brushing-Punch-vol-45-p175-696x1054.jpg

Punch cartoon

Source: Future of the Past--Barber Machines, 1868
Oh, Dear Lord, that is scary! The guy on the right looks like Sherman. No wonder he looked as he did in pictures if he just had THAT done to his head!!:frantic::eek::stomp:

Back