Georgia Civil War Sites

Thanks Scone! I'm finding that nearly all of my ancestors fought in Tennessee and Georgia on both sides of the war. Right now I'm reading Glenn Tucker's book "Chickamauga".

Most Welcome,

I had several realatives at Chickamuga, in the 22nd and 28th Alabama 41st Ohio, 4th Alabana Cav. thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

The 22nd Alabama lost their colors on Snodgrass Hill the nrigade they where in Deas Brigade capture over 10 cannons but paid a heavey price over 50% in casuaties..

regards steven

My 3rd great grandfather was in 88th Indiana of Beatty's 2nd Brigade, Negley's Division, 14th Corps at Chickamauga. He was captured on Sept. 20th. He died and is buried at Andersonville. I assume, but can't say for sure, that it was during Longstreet's attack that he was captured.

edited for clarity

My 3rd great uncle in the 28th alabama was wounded and Captured released in 1865 in Alabama went home got his wife and child and never heard from again.

His brother was wounded missionary ridge and severved till the end as .. As did my 3rd grest grandfather in the 22nd and his brother in klaw was in the same company as him and was wounded around atlanta and furloughed not sure he returned to the unit later on or not.

One of the saddest story from that battlefield isthat of young officer in the 22nd alabama had just returned from a furlough of visiting home and was brought back to the regiment on sept 19 by his father in wagon.

The next day, this same young officer was killed only to carried home by his father in the very wagon that brought him there..

regards, stevem

Scone

I took this picture in the Confederate Museum in New Orleans
Expired Image Removed

ReBal (Alex)
It has been a long time. I saw your post, and thought I'd answer. Thanks for the picture. As I've never been to the Museum in New Orleans, it's always good to see something that has such historical significance. I'm hoping also, that none of what you saw there, is destroyed now. The value of those items, are, as you know, priceless. It is so good to see you on the board again.

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

Much remains around Kennesaw and Resaca. Stonework remains along with a lot of battleline redoubts. New homes are starting to encircle much of the battle areas, but they are preserving the identified fields, knowing there is much interest in their preservation. Us southern folks also relish yankee tourist dollars!

larry_cockerham said:
. Us southern folks also relish yankee tourist dollars!
As my friend from South Carolina used to say... "Every Yankee tourist is worth a bale of cotton, and is a lot easier to pick!"

Amusing perhaps that we have differing expressions of the capitalization of the term yankee.

Larry:
To capitalize yankee and not confederate, or north and not south, or vice versa would be expressing a preference. Besides capital letters require extra effort -- best to keep them to a minimum.
Ole

Ole, I have a theory there's a big difference in Unionists and yankees. Not wanting to start a fight, just trying to clarify. Guess I started out wrong by meeting my two male first cousins from Rochester, NY.

Ole, I have a theory there's a big difference in Unionists and yankees. Not wanting to start a fight, just trying to clarify. Guess I started out wrong by meeting my two male first cousins from Rochester, NY.
I think I'm starting to get it. A northerner is not necessarily a yankee, but some are? Especially those from a certain region which shall be nameless but its initials are northeastern?

My bad. I thought yankee referred to any northerner. Am I getting warmer?

I have, and perhaps we all have, not factored in those subtle personal understandings of any particular word which means something to each, but many different things to all.

Ole

For instance our blessed visitors, who like country music for some strange reason, come from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and such places and are known locally as Midwesterners. Extremely polite and respectful northern folks. They also rent rooms and buy dinner without fussing about it.

Back