George Washington’s Heavy-on-the-Alcohol Eggnog

1481748191-washington-02-gettyimages-566423367-working-02.jpg
Esquire
I’ve often wondered why humans ever thought drinking a spiced and spiked egg-yolk-and-milk mixture was a good idea. I mean that just doesn’t sound very appetizing to me. Nonetheless, I was coaxed into trying it many years ago and it has become an essential part of my holidays. And I’m not alone. Eggnog has charmed drinkers for nearly a millennium.

Culinary historians still debate its exact lineage, but most agree eggnog originated from the early medieval Britain “posset,” a hot, milky, ale-like drink. Our forefathers certainly loved their holiday eggnog. George Washington even penned his own famous heavy-on-the-alcohol eggnog recipe. Unfortunately he must have enjoyed a few cups before he wrote it down because he forgot to record the exact number of eggs in his recipe. Cooks in his era estimated a dozen would do.

One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.

There are lots of variations on eggnog today. Please share some of your favorites!

I’ve often wondered why humans ever thought drinking a spiced and spiked egg-yolk-and-milk mixture was a good idea. I mean that just doesn’t sound very appetizing to me. Nonetheless, I was coaxed into trying it many years ago and it has become an essential part of my holidays. And I’m not alone. Eggnog has charmed drinkers for nearly a millennium.

Culinary historians still debate its exact lineage, but most agree eggnog originated from the early medieval Britain “posset,” a hot, milky, ale-like drink. Our forefathers certainly loved their holiday eggnog. George Washington even penned his own famous heavy-on-the-alcohol eggnog recipe. Unfortunately he must have enjoyed a few cups before he wrote it down because he forgot to record the exact number of eggs in his recipe. Cooks in his era estimated a dozen would do.

One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, 1/2 pint rye whiskey, 1/2 pint Jamaica rum, 1/4 pint sherry—mix liquor first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs, add sugar to beaten yolks, mix well. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Let set in cool place for several days. Taste frequently.

There are lots of variations on eggnog today. Please share some of your favorites!
There is a lot of booze in this for sure,not for the kiddies.

Wow! There is a lot of potent potable in that recipe. I bet it's tasty, though.

View attachment 169548
Tipsy Scoop

Tipsy Scoop, located in New York City, makes Spiced Eggnog Brandy-infused ice cream spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon. This booze-infused ice cream is available for shipping on Goldbely. I think all of these ice cream flavors deserve a try!
View attachment 169548
Tipsy Scoop

Tipsy Scoop, located in New York City, makes Spiced Eggnog Brandy-infused ice cream spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon. This booze-infused ice cream is available for shipping on Goldbely. I think all of these ice cream flavors deserve a try!
Ice cream and booze......winner.

This is an Eggnog Martini with amaretto, vanilla vodka, whipped cream, a chocolate stick and mint leaf garnish, and a white chocolate rim with chocolate shavings. Somebody stop me!!!!

The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa

Someone on another site I was reading asked if you could get drunk from eggnog. The answer is a resounding YES!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is for @Bee! The symbol of Patron Tequila is a bee. This symbol was used because of the strong attraction of bees to the blue agave plant. Well in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Coyote Café serves its eggnog with Patron coffee liqueur and a signature Patron :bee:. @Bee, if you like eggnog, this one literally has your CWT name on it. :smile:

Courtesy of Coyote Café

It does look good. Wonder what the sweets are.

I'm not sure. Looks a little like biscotti. However, trust me when I say that salted toffee shortbread cookies go very well with eggnog. I bet your sweet Cindy could bake a great tasting batch!

https://thecafesucrefarine.com/

This one is for @Bee! The symbol of Patron Tequila is a bee. This symbol was used because of the strong attraction of bees to the blue agave plant. Well in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Coyote Café serves its eggnog with Patron coffee liqueur and a signature Patron :bee:. @Bee, if you like eggnog, this one literally has your CWT name on it. :smile:

View attachment 169553
Courtesy of Coyote Café

My faithful assistant The Norwegian is a trained chef, he insists that the only reason that I do not like eggnog is because I have not had it properly prepared. I may have to find an excuse for him to get some of this Patron, so I can have the bottle! :bee:

Here's a recipe just in case @Jimklag. It's courtesy of The Café Sucré Farine. They have lots of great recipes on their website at https://thecafesucrefarine.com

Salted Toffee Shortbread Cookies

¾ cup butter, softened
¼ cup shortening, softened
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
pinch salt

1/2 cup toffee bits
coarse sea salt
sugar for sprinkling

1. Cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add flour and mix until well blended.

2. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until fairly thin. Sprinkle with toffee bits and cover with a plastic wrap. Gently roll over plastic wrap, pressing toffee bits into the dough. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle lightly with sea salt, crushing salt between your fingers as you sprinkle. Cut out desired shapes, sprinkle lightly with sugar and place on an ungreased sheet pan. spacing 1/2 inch apart.

3. Bake at 350 for 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden.

Back