George Stacy's staged homefront photos, c. 1860's

chubachus

First Sergeant
stacy homefront1.jpg

Scene titled "The Conscript". Union soldier taking presumable draftee away for war service.

Source.

These are quite interesting, but please explain them in more detail. Were these regularly published?...sort of like political cartoons? ......or like propagranda of the era?

These are quite interesting, but please explain them in more detail. Were these regularly published?...sort of like political cartoons? ......or like propagranda of the era?

They were published late in the war as stereoviews. They were probably sold in batches to people who found them interesting for whatever reason. Not sure there is much of a political message in them. Patriotic maybe?

Wikipedia has some interesting details about photographer/publisher George Stacy:

George Stacy (1831–1897) was a Civil War, field photographer and later a prolific publisher of stereoviews, not necessisarily his own. The first reference to George Stacy being a photographer may be in New Brunswick Canada. A photographer by that name placed and advertisement in a Federicton, New Brunswick newspaper dated July 7, 1857. The advertisement stated: SOMETHING NEW just received in Stacy's Ambrotype room and advertised stereoscopes and other photographic needs. The earliest confirmed Stacy, stereoveiws are a series he took of the Prince of Whales' visit to Portland, ME. Oct. 20, 1860, and the renowned Fortress Monroe series in June 1861. George Stacy had a storefront at 691 Broadway in NY, NY from 1861 to 1865. He visited Fort Monroe where his future brother in law Colin Van Gelder Forbes who was serving with Duryee's Zouaves 5th NY Volunteer Infantry at the time at Fort Monroe in VA in June 1861 and took his Fort Monroe series, which was sited in the NY Times by a letter from a Duryee soldier (CVGF?) on June 15, 1861. An industry census shows that Stacy was still marketing his stereoviews in 1870. By 1880 he had taken up horticulture in Patterson N.J.

Missed this thread in 2017 and sorry I did- these are wonderful! I just posted an image from Fort Monroe, a wife making her home in a case mate. Wonder if it's one of George Stacy's? It's from a stereoview I enlarged and cropped- seems likely.

Back