Pickett George Pickett and the pig war.

Not so sure about that, remember that during the Pig War Queen Victoria was the commander in chief. It’s also a fact that throughout history that more Queens have declared war than Kings, Hell hath no fury’, and all that jazz.
Remember grandma got pretty uptight when she discovered that Clyde had eaten all of her Oreos.
View attachment 300850
It seems to me that although women have been at the top of the monarchy (Queens) throughout history, I would bet that not one of them, until modern times, had female advisors. All the advisors were men and their advice and opinions influenced the Queens decisions to go to war or not. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that man, by nature, is made to protect women and fighting and war is just part of that protection. In past centuries women kept a home for their husband and had babies and never got involved with any big decision making.

Why did the arbitration process favour the USA, according to the historian Frances White.
The Americans were very clever with their choice of representation – George Bancroft had studied in Germany and had many powerful German connections. The British representative, Admiral James Prevost, although a talented negotiator, was a virtual unknown in the country. After months of deliberation, a decision was made:

“Most in accordance with the true interpretations of the treaty concluded on the 15th of June, 1846, between the Governments of Her Britannic Majesty and of the United States of America, is the claim of the Government of the United States that the boundary-line between the territories of Her Britannic Majesty and the United States should be drawn through the Haro Channel.”

Basically the USA cheated...can we have our island back please...:bat:
I'm half Canadian. Can we have our country back? :wink:

Had to look that one up because I wanted to know how big the island was, apparently it’s 4,230 ft long and 3,934ft wide, it’s kind of hilarious to think that Denmark and Canada had to draw up a land boundary, I guess Denmark can hold onto their 2,115 ft share of the island.Those Canadians though, they keep leaving notes for the Danish, most of them read, ‘Welcome to Canada’.
:rofl:

It seems to me that although women have been at the top of the monarchy (Queens) throughout history, I would bet that not one of them, until modern times, had female advisors. All the advisors were men and their advice and opinions influenced the Queens decisions to go to war or not. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that man, by nature, is made to protect women and fighting and war is just part of that protection. In past centuries women kept a home for their husband and had babies and never got involved with any big decision making.
Male and female brains have been proven to be wired differently, it’s argued that our modern behaviour was preprogrammed when we were hunter gatherers. Does that preprogrammed behaviour make men more warlike, the jury’s still out on that one.

It's all about the Strait of Juan de Fuca - everybody wants to control it! The Spanish explored it and the pope decreed they could have it, the British said we don't care what the pope said Drake and Cook beat you all to it, then there was gold discovered on the Fraser River and the Americans said out of the way, all y'all, you're standing on my gold!

It's an amazing thing, islands. Ninety percent of the war (WWII) in the Pacific was over islands! And...no major power gives a rip about what bunch of savages happen to be inhabiting it for thousands of years before any imperial power 'discovered' it. Move, Bikini Islanders, we want to test something here... :x3:

Had to look that one up because I wanted to know how big the island was, apparently it’s 4,230 ft long and 3,934ft wide, it’s kind of hilarious to think that Denmark and Canada had to draw up a land boundary, I guess Denmark can hold onto their 2,115 ft share of the island.Those Canadians though, they keep leaving notes for the Danish, most of them read, ‘Welcome to Canada’.
It is important because it help give the Country control over the sea between Canada and Greenland. Something that might one day be worth something... When global warming get rid of most of the ice and rare minerals gets discovered or simply access to fishing and similar.

About 100 years ago both Norway and Denmark claimed the eastern part of Greenland. It was settled by the League of nations (one of the things they did get done). Denmark won exactly because it had been much more active in showing the flag in the area and exercising sovereignty there.

Today the danish military got a number of small bases in northern Greenland and the area is patrolled by a handful of two man patrols on skies and dogsleds.

Now Greenland is an island of some importance to argue about! But Parsley Island...is a rock. Literally. Nothing there, not even big enough for more than a dozen soldiers (six from each!) to stand on, but the Moroccans and the Spaniards argue back and forth over it. It's always about flags. Every time one or the other party goes there, they yank up the previous flag and plant another! Izzy Izzard was right...

The whole west coast of Canada and Alaska is full of islands - and they are constantly being argued over. Even to this day there's a quiet discussion every so often about whether the Russians, the Japanese or the US owns a few little bumps off the coast of Alaska. The Pig War does take the cake...pardon, I think maybe that honor goes to the Pastry War. Some Mexican officers did a scarf and scram on a French pastry chef who demanded payment and the entire French navy showed up to collect.

Back