George Meade being Snubbed

Who is the short plump man just to Meade's left ?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation, two countries

Confed-American Flag.jpg

I can't fit the entire photo on my computer screen (unless it's really small) and the USAHEC won't let me download anything larger than a thumbnail size photo. But I came up with this.
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 11.31.12 AM.jpg

Col. Harry Stanton Burton (1819-1869)mis second man over from Meade's right? Edit: I know Marsena Patrick's name is there.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 11.36.54 AM.jpg

His shoulder strap looks like it has a bar like 1st Lt. Looks like something in the middle, also. A colonel is the only one with a design in the middle of the strap. Double edit: The more I look at the photo the more he looks like Marsena Patrick (1811-1888).

Last edited:
I can't fit the entire photo on my computer screen (unless it's really small) and the USAHEC won't let me download anything larger than a thumbnail size photo. But I came up with this.
View attachment 195226
Col. Harry Stanton Burton (1819-1869)mis second man over from Meade's right? Edit: I know Marsena Patrick's name is there.

View attachment 195227
His shoulder strap looks like it has a bar like 1st Lt. Looks like something in the middle, also. A colonel is the only one with a design in the middle of the strap. Double edit: The more I look at the photo the more he looks like Marsena Patrick (1811-1888).

In the bottom photo, there seems to be a small ridge running down through the chairs that Meade and Humphreys are sitting in.......................Appears to me......that Meade has secured the "high ground" again...........:smile:

Respectfully,
William

One Nation, two countries

195140-775a3f0332769672572f7d879897f30a.jpg

Attachments

• Confed-American Flag.jpg
    Confed-American Flag.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 70
In this Mathew Brady photo of Gen. Meade and Staff, can anyone identify the bearded gentleman seated, with his back turned as if to be pointedly ignoring Meade? I'm sure he's not, but it is an unusual pose.

/snip

A couple of theories ...

1. It could be an Army of Potomac photo call … there may be more than one Photographer taking an image, would explain why some are looking to the right and some straight ahead.

Secondly, some of those older fellows would be used to Studio photography where they're usually in profile, so they turn their heads for every photograph 'to get their best side'.

Great photo though, chock-full of characters and some dreadfully tailored uniforms :D

Back