George H. Thomas joins CSA

When Thomas met Hood after the war in I believe Louisville, Hood was impressed. Said Thomas should have stayed with the south, where he would have been appreciated and loved.

Reading about Thomas for the past year or so, there were a lot of comparisons to George Washington.

If Lee had Thomas, I think you would have seen the 3 Corps version of the ANV sooner.

Determining what commands Thomas would have held in CS service requires pure speculation. I don't consider it impossible he would fill the role occupied IOTL by Philip St. George Cocke, commanding the Potomac Line and later Beauregard's 5th Brigade.

With William Mahone as a patron, I could see Thomas taking command of the Department of Norfolk. While defeat at Roanoke Island may be prevented (as mentioned previously), I don't think Norfolk can be held indefinitely without McClellan choosing a different landing spot. A better performance around Norfolk may lead to McClellan choosing the Fort Monroe option on his own.

How a more effective commander in Huger's place would affect the battles around Richmond, I can't quite say, so I humbly defer to @Saphroneth here.

Last edited:
I just remembered something interesting: if Burnside's Expedition is turned back at Roanoke Island, where will they be sent next?

The logical answer would seem to be to the Peninsula with McClellan's army. If I remember correctly, he had wanted them to take part in the campaign. How does this affect events on the Peninsula and around Norfolk, @Saphroneth and @67th Tigers?

Last edited:
(I was granted permission by the author to continue this discussion ) the only way I see George h Thomas possibly fighting against Union troops was if he only accepted the state, not the Confederate commission and if Kentucky, Virginia had separated and join the confederacy in New York City, had separated from the union, or at least attempted to. Perhaps, when Lincoln start of the emancipation proclamation, he later turn this word into Freeing slaves and provided. How do you the opportunity to honorably the fact I think it would be possible.

I meant in a sncario where gerge h Thomas sides with the south he decides to switch to the union once Lincolns' issued his emancipation proclamation and with kentucky,new york state under the union flag

I meant in a sncario where gerge h Thomas sides with the south he decides to switch to the union once Lincolns' issued his emancipation proclamation and with kentucky,new york state under the union flag
I doubt he would. I don't recall a single Confederate general who turned sides after the EP. Partly due to their own ties with theinsitution, but also because doing so would make them "turn coats", the Benedict Arnold's of the Confederacy.
It's one thing for Thomas to side with the Union from the start. But if in this hypothetical scenario where he goes South, yeah no, that ain't happening.

Southern born officers such as Thomas who remained loyal to the United States were never going to "switch" sides at will, regardless of the EP or any other reason. (Similarly, the same can be said for northern born officers who cast their lot with the south; e.g., Lovell, Pemberton). Thomas's decision to remain with the Union was based on deep seated ties and loyalty to the flag. That devotion cost him a breakup with his own family.

It would be interesting, though realism is a little bit more difficult if the rock of Chickamauga at first sided with his home state because the Confederates didn’t attack for Sumter. Perhaps Kentucky’s neutrality was already violated. Another factor is if somehow, the Union did not order was not able to take effective measures against slavery, such as the No Contraband, act of 1861 and until fairly recently when the upper South joined the confederacy previously Lincoln, allowed the enforcement of the fugitive slave law, in all US territories, including the upper south, and the public saw his administration enforce that law.

Perhaps George H Thomas would serve his home state in the beginning, at least, but maybe win the war is clearly about slavery. He might change his mind

Back