George Blessing, "The Hero of the Highland"

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
It's said that the Civil War was fought in 10,000 places, many of them now almost forgotten, but near the small town of Wolfsville, in Frederick County, Maryland, there still stands a farm of about 100 acres named Hawkwood, which was one of those 10,000 places.

Hawkwood is currently owned by a talented young blacksmith who is also known for his wood sculptures. But in 1864, a farmer named George Blessing (born 1794) and his family lived on that land, and one day the Confederate cavalry came calling. They were, "scouring the county for horses, and, as Mr. Blessing's premises laid in their track, he was called upon by several rebel soldiers who demanded his horses," according to an account published in the Frederick Examiner, Dec. 24, 1873.

The paper provided a description of the "barn-yard fight" that followed, and shortly after it was published, Mr. Blessing wrote to tell them they got it all wrong and sent his own vivid account of the incident, which follows:

"HIGHLAND, CATOCTIN DISTRICT
Messrs. Editors of the Examiner:

Your statement of the barn-yard fight of the 9th instant, is not correct. The facts of the dreadful scene are these:

On the morning of that day a Company of Calvary, commanded by Major Harmon and Captain Walker, came in sight of my farm, where they detailed five to come and steal my horses.

As they rode up, I gave my son two guns and I took six and went in the name of the Lord God of Hosts to meet them, and as they rode up in haste we fired upon them in quick time, one was mortally wounded (he died at Middletown), the other so bad, they rode under the overshoot of the barn where we had a cross-fire on them.

As they were retreating I fired, killing one on the spot and took the other prisoner. The balance got back to the Company, which was from forty to sixty strong, and before I had re-loaded my guns they returned, nineteen in number, and had pressed in their service four of my neighbors as guides, and marched them in advance.

I gave my son two guns and another young man one, but they both retreated. I then took four guns, and went to a group of cherry trees; as their guides came up I halted them under pain of death if they did not stand. One of them broke off and ran. I fired on him, without effect. As soon as he reached the Rebels, they opened fire upon me to their hearts content; the splinters from the trees and fence flew in my face, while some of the balls fell at my feet.

I had three guns, which I held back (Unreadable word) sure work. After firing some fifty shots they rode off, leaving their dead and wounded in my hands. They sent word that they would bring up a battery and shell me. I sent word back that I had their wounded man in the barn, if they chose to burn him up they could do so.

A little before night, Cole's Calvary, under command of Lieut. Colonel Vernon, came in sight. I thought it was the Rebel battery, and I took the dead Rebel's carbine and concealed myself in a bramble bush close to the lane to make that the closing scene of that bloody day.

When I saw my happy mistake, I crawled out; they gave me a hearty cheer, rode up to the house, helped to bury my dead, and staid over night.

Thus closed the most tragic scene in the history of my life. I am 70 years of age. I do not wish to correct your error to boast, but I do it to encourage our soldiers and people to fight better and look to God for a just victory.

Yours, &c.,
GEORGE BLESSING
"

After his actions that day against the Confederate cavalry he was known thereafter locally as, "The Hero of the Highland" from the Highland Falls on a creek that runs nearby. Blessing and the incident at Hawkwood is a perfect example of why Maryland remained a border state and would not declare for the South--the rugged farmers, lumbermen, and tradesmen of Western Maryland had little in common with plantation owners far away.

Sadly, George had three sons and outlived them all, including one that helped him defend the farm.

Two pictures of George Blessing survive, one from his obituary and another from earlier in his life:

Picture of George Blessing -- clearly, you don't want to mess with this man's horses.
George Blessing.jpeg

Earlier photo of George Blessing by John Phillip Blessing
George Blessing by John Phillip Blessing.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa, definitely not -- thanks for posting this story. It would be interesting to see photos of the farm, either then or now or any time in between. Is Blessing's house still there?

Roy B.

There's a house and barn and several outbuildings on the property, but I'm not sure if they date to the Civil War. They certainly look like it. The owner lets you hunt deer on his land for a fee, which I have done several times--one of my sons bagged a 6-point buck there. I've been over most of the property--it's a nice place on the side of a mountain, most of it forested woodland but also several large, open fields. Much of it borders a conservation area and there's an easement on Hawkwood Farm itself to maintain its status in a conservation program, so it will never be sub-divided or developed commercially. This is one of the 10,000 places the Civil War was fought that will still be around for future generations to enjoy.

index.jpg

Last edited:
Back