Ami's SOA Generals at old age

He died at 59. Not all that old...

I turn 70 next month and it amazes me that I have managed to outlive all my boyhood heroes except of course Ben Franklin. Just think - I'm older than all the "old men" like Lee, Grant, George Washington, etc.; not to mention those that definitely "died young" like Custer (35), Stonewall Jackson (39), and Jeb Stuart (31)!

I turn 70 next month and it amazes me that I have managed to outlive all my boyhood heroes except of course Ben Franklin. Just think - I'm older than all the "old men" like Lee, Grant, George Washington, etc.; not to mention those that definitely "died young" like Custer (35), Stonewall Jackson (39), and Jeb Stuart (31)!
Happy birthday next month! You have lived as long as Stonewall and Jeb put together with hopes of passing Ben Franklin!

Early wishes for a wonderful birthday, James, and many, many more!
1188yr.jpg

Forrest also had a fearsome aspect in words. As John Allan Wyeth relates this famous conversation in his book "Life of N. B. Forrest: Forrest to Bragg: "You have threatened to arrest me for not obeying your orders promptly. I dare you to do it, and I say to you that if you ever again try to interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.":cold::cold: (A late reply to Diane post of Oct. 7 )

Last edited:
Nice thread! :D

William_Mahone_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

William Mahone after the war
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/brh2003001674/PP/

Ulysses_Grant_1870-1880.jpg

President Ulysses S. Grant

In addition to being the hero of the Crater, Billy Mahone had a remarkable post war career as President of the Atlantic Mississippi and Ohio Railroad (AM&O). The company was a predecessor to the Norfolk & Western Railroad, now a part of Norfolk Southern.

Mahone built the railroad through the Great Dismal Swamp by laying timber on the right of way and building the roadbed on top of the timber. In essence, he built a floating roadbed. Because the timber sunk into the marsh it was never exposed to oxygen and thus never decayed. Norfolk Southern runs over Billy's floating roadbed to this day. It is a very active NS main line.

If you travel down US Route 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk you will pass through towns with fascinating names from English literature. Places like Winsor, Wakefield and Waverly. Those towns were named by Mahone and his wife Otelia as they rode inspection trains along the route based on books they were reading. They agreed upon names for all the towns but one. Because each had their favorite name for one town they agreed to disagree and simply named it Disputana.

Little wonder that employees observed that AM&O actually stood for All Mine and Otelia's.

A belated, but very cordial "Happy Birthday!", James!!
Hey, you may count 70 years now, but you absolutely don't look like it! So you should repeat that above post when you look as old as Lee .... which might be in 20 years or so!

General Neal Dow the "Napoleon of Temperance."
kneeldown.png

Photo source.

His spat with Butler from wikipedia-
After a winter of training in Maine, Dow and the 13th Maine were dispatched to the Gulf of Mexico in February 1862.[66] Even before departing, Dow quarreled with his superiors when he learned his unit would be placed under the command of Major General Benjamin F. Butler, a Democrat whom Dow regarded as soft on slavery and "pro-rum".[67] Dow's protests were ineffective, but they earned Butler's enmity.[67] After joining Butler at Fort Monroe, Virginia, the regiment sailed south and was forced to land in North Carolina after a storm; Dow's performance in the emergency won Butler's praise, but the two still cordially loathed each other.[67] After the damaged ships were repaired, Butler's army continued south to Ship Island, Mississippi.[68]

Butler's army, aided by Flag Officer David Farragut's fleet, captured New Orleans on April 29, 1862.[69] Dow and the 13th Maine did not join in the attack, remaining behind to guard Ship Island. A day earlier, Congress had approved Dow's promotion to brigadier general. He blamed Butler for excluding him from the battle, believing that Butler was threatened by his promotion and calling him a "bully and a beast".[67] He spent much of the time quarreling with his second-in-command, Lieutenant Colonel Francis S. Hesseltine, while the regiment occupied forts around New Orleans.[70] While there, Dow encouraged black slaves to run away from captivity and take shelter with the Union Army.[71] He also confiscated property from nearby planters, including those who supported the Union, and tried unsuccessfully to claim personal salvage rights over Confederate military property abandoned in the river.[71]

In October 1862, Dow was given command over the District of Pensacola, and moved to join other units there.[71] He immediately earned the troops' disfavor by placing Pensacola under prohibition.[72] He also (without authorization from Washington) began to recruit black troops from the local slave population while continuing his confiscation of rebel property.[72] Butler soon countermanded the confiscation order, which Dow believed was done in revenge for his banning of alcohol.[72]

General Neal Dow the "Napoleon of Temperance."
View attachment 121112
Photo source.

His spat with Butler from wikipedia-
After a winter of training in Maine, Dow and the 13th Maine were dispatched to the Gulf of Mexico in February 1862.[66] Even before departing, Dow quarreled with his superiors when he learned his unit would be placed under the command of Major General Benjamin F. Butler, a Democrat whom Dow regarded as soft on slavery and "pro-rum".[67] Dow's protests were ineffective, but they earned Butler's enmity.[67] After joining Butler at Fort Monroe, Virginia, the regiment sailed south and was forced to land in North Carolina after a storm; Dow's performance in the emergency won Butler's praise, but the two still cordially loathed each other.[67] After the damaged ships were repaired, Butler's army continued south to Ship Island, Mississippi.[68]

Butler's army, aided by Flag Officer David Farragut's fleet, captured New Orleans on April 29, 1862.[69] Dow and the 13th Maine did not join in the attack, remaining behind to guard Ship Island. A day earlier, Congress had approved Dow's promotion to brigadier general. He blamed Butler for excluding him from the battle, believing that Butler was threatened by his promotion and calling him a "bully and a beast".[67] He spent much of the time quarreling with his second-in-command, Lieutenant Colonel Francis S. Hesseltine, while the regiment occupied forts around New Orleans.[70] While there, Dow encouraged black slaves to run away from captivity and take shelter with the Union Army.[71] He also confiscated property from nearby planters, including those who supported the Union, and tried unsuccessfully to claim personal salvage rights over Confederate military property abandoned in the river.[71]

In October 1862, Dow was given command over the District of Pensacola, and moved to join other units there.[71] He immediately earned the troops' disfavor by placing Pensacola under prohibition.[72] He also (without authorization from Washington) began to recruit black troops from the local slave population while continuing his confiscation of rebel property.[72] Butler soon countermanded the confiscation order, which Dow believed was done in revenge for his banning of alcohol.[72]

I bet Dow was the real owner of the chamberpot factory.

butler%20chamber%20pot.jpg

Back