General Winfield Scott Hancock

I'm not positive but ' think ' it was because they thought there was no need Hancock himself first thought he'd been hit with something other than a mini ball. A nail was found in the wound. The ball had torn through Hancock' saddle carrying wood and debris, including a nail into his upper thigh. Having recovered the nail and debris it was expected the wound would heal. When it did not doctors understood more debris required recovering before the wound would heal.

I'm not sure where I heard this, and can't verify that this is true, but I think, in order to correctly find the angle the debris from the saddle went into Hancock's body so he could finally remove the debris and dead bone, the doctor who attended him later, after the war, had him sit on a chair on top of a table--to approximate the height of a horse.

I think it was really his upper right inner thigh, though, family-friendly or not. It was the wood and a saddle nail from his saddle's pommel that the bullet pushed into the wound, and it wasn't until 1864 that a doctor cleaned it out. I'd be the first to say it was his groin . . . if it was. :smile:
All I can say to that is when I read it years ago, out loud I exclaimed, "OH, Ouch!":frown:

I'm not sure where I heard this, and can't verify that this is true, but I think, in order to correctly find the angle the debris from the saddle went into Hancock's body so he could finally remove the debris and dead bone, the doctor who attended him later, after the war, had him sit on a chair on top of a table--to approximate the height of a horse.
Yep...that's the story in the Jordan bio except it seems to me that putting the "horse" on the table was more that the doctor could work on him without stooping over. The proper angel was the key.

Great pics above......apparently he was very athletically built until he put on weight while he was laid up. Never took it off.

Hey Grant fans......... sounds like he was a bit of a d*** (I censored myself btw) to him after the war in favor of his boy Sheridan. Warranted?????

Back