General Willian "Pecos Bill" Rufus Shafter, Civil War Medal of Honor winner from Michigan.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today while on a local antique shopping trip I drove through Galesburg Michigan. William Shafter has a bronze bust on the corner in Galesburg Michigan. Shafter also has a bronze tablet in a granite shaft on Shafter Road in Comstock Township Michigan. Shafter was a teacher and farmer born in Galesburg or in Kalamazoo (I have seen both given as his birth place). Most people only recognize Shafter's name due to his being in command of the Fifth Corps in Cuba during the Spanish American War. Less known is that he won a Medal of Honor for bravery at the Civil War Battle of Fair Oaks. William Shafter's service during the Civil War was notable. He was a lieutenant in the 7th Michigan Infantry, a major in the 19th Michigan Infantry, and a colonel in the 17th U.S. Colored Infantry. After the Civil War Shafter served in the Indian Wars.

His choice for leading the invasion of Cuba during the Spanish American War came as a surprise to many . He was too old for field command and was a 300 pound officer who suffered from gout. Never the less he was made a Major General of Volunteers at the start of the Spanish American War and commanded Fifth Corps in Cuba. He was too heavy to mount a horse and had to ride in a wagon. He is often a bit of a joke because of his weight, watch how he is depicted in the movie Rough Riders. But all in all he appears of have performed fairly well during the Spanish American War.

His Medal of Honor for the Battle of Fair Oaks was well deserved. The bronze bust with three bronze tablets on it located in Galesburg is nice and probably a fitting memorial to a local hero.

William "Pecos Bill" Rufus Shafter

Major General William Shafter of Michigan.jpg

Many of use can feel for poor Shafter. Many of us can not fit in to the uniforms we wore in basic training. I an in my 60s just like Shafter was in Cuba so I tried on my blue uniform I wore as a new 2nd lieutenant this week and although I can wear it, it is a bit tight in the waist and a bit loose in the chest and shoulders. Can a uniform in storage shrink in the waist and get larger in the chest and shoulders? My green service uniform from basic training is a bit loose on me.

Many of use can feel for poor Shafter. Many of us can not fit in to the uniforms we wore in basic training. I an in my 60s just like Shafter was in Cuba so I tried on my blue uniform I wore as a new 2nd lieutenant this week and although I can wear it, it is a bit tight in the waist and a bit loose in the chest and shoulders. Can a uniform in storage shrink in the waist and get larger in the chest and shoulders? My green service uniform from basic training is a bit loose on me.

I can't even begin to get into my Class A uniform that I had when I got out of the Army.

Back