General Warren's vision

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
Those who are familiar with the battle are aware that General Gouverneur Warren is credited with saving Little Round Top because he could see the Rebels moving to take that position. He sent a courier to request that troops be sent up to LRT as soon as possible. As we know, Colonel Strong Vincent intercepted the request and led his brigade to the southern face of LRT. It is also known that Warren later claimed that he never saw Vincent's troops engaging the enemy on the very same hill where he was surveying the situation. While standing near the position of the 16th Michigan, the right flank of Vincent's brigade, I noticed that the Warren statue could clearly be seen (red arrow in picture). I understand that monuments don't necessarily mark exact positions, but I still find it difficult to understand how Warren could not see at least part of Vincent's brigade.

Theories?

Capture.PNG

I recalled this and looked it up found the below. It seems like too easy a solution however...

"If Warren stood where he said he did and was anxiously waiting the arrival of the regiments, it is inconceivable that he did not see their approach. The solution to the enigma must be that he was away from the hill longer than he or anyone else remembered."
Edwin B. Coddington, The Gettysburg Campaign

Last edited:
Those who are familiar with the battle are aware that General Gouverneur Warren is credited with saving Little Round Top because he could see the Rebels moving to take that position. He sent a courier to request that troops be sent up to LRT as soon as possible. As we know, Colonel Strong Vincent intercepted the request and led his brigade to the southern face of LRT. It is also known that Warren later claimed that he never saw Vincent's troops engaging the enemy on the very same hill where he was surveying the situation. While standing near the position of the 16th Michigan, the right flank of Vincent's brigade, I noticed that the Warren statue could clearly be seen (red arrow in picture). I understand that monuments don't necessarily mark exact positions, but I still find it difficult to understand how Warren could not see at least part of Vincent's brigade.

Theories?

View attachment 145580

It's been a while since I studied Warren's movements, but I believe that he had left the hill at about the time that Vincent was deploying. He left LRT, found Hazlett and ordered him to the hill, found O'Rorke and his regiment and ordered them to the hill, and then told Weed to follow O'Rorke with the rest of his men.

In addition, Vincent came up the backside of the hill so it's very possible that Warren never saw them.

Ryan

Back