General Snap OR the Second Napolean

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I come from the quarters of Brigadier-General Schleich a few minutes ago. He is a three-months' brigadier, and a rampant demagogue. Schleich said that slaves who accompanied their masters to the field, when captured, should be sent to Cuba and sold to pay the expenses of the war. I suggested that it would better to take them to Canada and liberate them, and that so soon as the the Government began to sell negroes to pay the expenses of the war I would throw up my commission and go home.

Schleich was a State Senator when the war began. He is what might be called a tremendous little man, swears terribly, and imagines that he is indispensable to a military man. If snap is the only thing a soldier needs, and profanity is snap, Schleich is a second Napoleon.

This General Snap will go home, at the expiration of his three-months' term, unregretted by officers and men. Major Hugh Ewing will return with him. Last night the Major became thoroughly elevated, and he is not quite sober yet. He thinks, when in his cups, that our generals are too careful of their men. "What are a th-thousand men," said he, "when (hic) principle is at stake? Men's lives (hic) shouln't be thought of at such a time (hic) Amount to nothing (hic). Our generals are too d***d slow" (hic.

Back