Grant General Sherman tells a story about Grant

rosefiend

First Sergeant
I was chasing down a citation and got this article as a reward. We always hear this story (it apparently became popular after Catton quoted in in a book I don't have) but this is closer to its original source.

I can't find the original article from the Washington Post because my computer is slower than snot today. But the original article probably ran about January 1894.

Indiana (Penn.) Democrat, July 12, 1894, p. 1

Grant had no thought of retreat.jpg

ETA: There are other articles that ran earlier with the same story, but this July article is the only one that provides a very helpful context.

You posted this because it is "more funner" than arguing about something, huh?

That, and I realized that the search engine on this site would not pick up the famous quote out of the newspaper clipping, so I quoted it for the benefit of others trying to chase down the provenance of that quote. I found a blog posting telling me that the actual quote dated from the 1960's, and I was thinking, "Nah, that can't be right." And it wasn't.

That, and I realized that the search engine on this site would not pick up the famous quote out of the newspaper clipping, so I quoted it for the benefit of others trying to chase down the provenance of that quote. I found a blog posting telling me that the actual quote dated from the 1960's, and I was thinking, "Nah, that can't be right." And it wasn't.

I just really admire a writer who can use the phrase "more funner" in any situation at all! That means you can be silly and many writers are missing their funny bone!
Hey! I know! An alternate history/humor expert! Good history and good humor would be great!

I just really admire a writer who can use the phrase "more funner" in any situation at all! That means you can be silly and many writers are missing their funny bone!
Hey! I know! An alternate history/humor expert! Good history and good humor would be great!

Alternate history?! Dude, this is real history -- I seem to spend more time running down citations than actually writing it! ... which, er, *might* be a problem if deadline is coming up.

I'm all about that humor tho. If I can't have more fun then what is the point. It's more funner that way, you know. :giggle:

Alternate history?! Dude, this is real history -- I seem to spend more time running down citations than actually writing it! ... which, er, *might* be a problem if deadline is coming up.

I'm all about that humor tho. If I can't have more fun then what is the point. It's more funner that way, you know. :giggle:
Oh I know that your OP was all real history.
Be careful. I got red letters for using the word, Dude. I think. And I am sure I was talking with a dude. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything as I have seen people address either gender with, "Dude"!

Back