General Samuel Curtis Another Forgotten One..

I found his grave...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8604/samuel-ryan-curtis

Grave Bio:
Civil War Union Major General, US Congressman. In 1831, he graduated from the US Military Academy and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the Engineer Corps. He was sent to Fort Gibson in Indian Territory and served for one year before resigning from the Army. Moving to Ohio, he became a civil engineer and with the outbreak of the Mexican-American War, he was appointed Colonel of the 2nd Ohio Volunteers. After the war, he moved to Keokuk, Iowa and was elected as a Republican to the Thirty-fifth Congress on March 4, 1857 and served until the Civil War broke out when he resigned. Appointed Colonel of the 2nd Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, he was promoted Brigadier General in command of the Army of the Southwest on June 1, 1861. In March 1862, he defeated Confederate General Earl Dorn at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas and was promoted Major General on March 21, 1862, in command of the Department of Missouri. He briefly commanded the Department of Kansas until 1864, when he was given command of the Department of the Northwest, and held the position until the end of the war. After the war, he was commissioned to help negotiate treaties with many of the Plains Indians and later served commissioner for the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad.

Curtis got to far out he got frustrated and a bit critical of Sheridan.

Link: did you all know Sheridan Horse was stuffed... http://learningabe.info/US_Cavalry_Sheridan.html

In December, Sheridan was appointed chief commissary officer of the Army of Southwest Missouri, but convinced the department commander, Halleck, to give him the position of quartermaster general as well. In January 1862, he reported for duty to Maj. Gen. Samuel Curtis and served under him at the Battle of Pea Ridge. Sheridan soon discovered that officers were engaged in profiteering. They stole horses from civilians and demanded payment from Sheridan. He refused to pay for the stolen property and confiscated the horses for the use of Curtis's army. When Curtis ordered him to pay the officers, Sheridan brusquely retorted, "No authority can compel me to jayhawk or steal." Curtis had Sheridan arrested for insubordination but Halleck's influence appears to have ended any formal proceedings. Sheridan performed aptly in his role under Curtis and, now returned to Halleck's headquarters, he accompanied the army on the Siege of Corinth and served as an assistant to the department's topographical engineer, but also made the acquaintance of Brig. Gen. William T. Sherman, who offered him the colonelcy of an Ohio infantry regiment. This appointment fell through, but Sheridan was subsequently aided by friends (including future Secretary of War Russell A. Alger), who petitioned Michigan Governor Austin Blair on his behalf. Sheridan was appointed colonel of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry on May 27, 1862, despite having no experience in the mounted ar

His jailing of civilians indefineitly

It seems Lincoln liked him: http://www.civilwaronthewesternborder.org/encyclopedia/curtis-samuel-r

Curtis’s tenure as the head of the Department of the Missouri proved to be frustrating. Civil War Missouri was rife with guerrilla activity. Curtis was viewed as an abolitionist by the pro-Union, pro-slavery elements in the Provisional Government of Missouri, and the latter worked diligently to have him removed. Curtis never subdued the guerrillas in the state, and his political battles with conservatives, Provisional Governor Hamilton R. Gamble and his superior, Henry Halleck, resulted in President Lincoln’s dismissal of Curtis on May 24, 1863, with the comment that, “as I could not remove Gov. Gamble, I had to remove General Curtis.” But Curtis’s talents were far too valuable to stay sidelined for long.

He wrote his memoirs but I can not find them anywhere... They must be out of print... hidden on a bookshelf in some liberty...

It seems Lincoln liked him: http://www.civilwaronthewesternborder.org/encyclopedia/curtis-samuel-r

Curtis’s tenure as the head of the Department of the Missouri proved to be frustrating. Civil War Missouri was rife with guerrilla activity. Curtis was viewed as an abolitionist by the pro-Union, pro-slavery elements in the Provisional Government of Missouri, and the latter worked diligently to have him removed. Curtis never subdued the guerrillas in the state, and his political battles with conservatives, Provisional Governor Hamilton R. Gamble and his superior, Henry Halleck, resulted in President Lincoln’s dismissal of Curtis on May 24, 1863, with the comment that, “as I could not remove Gov. Gamble, I had to remove General Curtis.” But Curtis’s talents were far too valuable to stay sidelined for long.
Liked him so much he reolaced him with Ol' Rosie.

Back