1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

General Recommendations on Civil War Travel!

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by Nathanb1, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

We seem to repeat some things over and over, and here are a few of my favorite tips....I hope the rest of you "regulars" will add some basic goodies that every ACW traveler can use, no matter where they may be headed.

1) Check out the older threads on this particular forum....you will find tons of great info and ideas within the threads. You can use the search and limit results, or simple scroll through the titles!

2) If one is available for "your" battlefield trip, get a Trailhead Graphics map ahead of time and study it well. It's idiot proof (I am the idiot), almost bulletproof (withstands 8th graders nicely!) and beautifully done.

3) Be sure to go to civilwar.org (Civil War Trust) for battlefield apps, animated maps, travel links and just general, great, well-organized info that you can search by battlefield or state. And they even have lesson plans for the kids if you're THAT kind of parent or grandparent. This is also a great way to prepare.

4) Don't forget that the National Park Service has great web pages for every battlefield, again with maps, links, critical info, and much more (as well as great photos).

5) And ask us! We love questions. As our guru Ole says, someone will know. You might need to be patient, especially this summer when everyone except me :nah disagree: will be out of pocket at Gettysburg or another 150th....but someone will find an answer for you.

Happy traveling!

jenmay286, mathias, FZ11 and 5 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

A few basic tips I'd add to the above when you're actually "on the road":

Don't be bashful, especially at National Parks or state historic sites; most of the rangers or park personnel will be happy to help you. On my recent trip to Chickamauga, the historian made me many copies of maps and pages about related areas well outside the park I was interested in. Also, it's the best way to discover other lesser-known places that may be nearby.

Avoid Interstate highways whenever possible - state historical markers, historic houses, etc. aren't on them!

Remember to take pictures - lots of them! I took with me a relatively new digital camera with lots of "memory" and got over 200; I easily could've taken more, but I didn't want it to be TOO unwieldy to deal with when I got back.

4. wayne jackson

wayne jackson Sergeant Major

i thought you were cooking us up a trip

Nathanb1 likes this.
  5. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Tip your tour guides...between $5 and $10 per person in your party is normal.

FZ11 likes this.
  6. Blessmag

Blessmag Captain

Take notes of what the guides say. I had a whole branch of research I would not have known without his input.

Nathanb1 and JerseyBart like this.
  7. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Absolutely...carry a notebook and pen.

FZ11 and bdtex like this.
  8. Nathanb1

Let's go. Where?

9. pamc153PA

pamc153PA Captain Forum Host

Count me in--doesn't matter where! Who's driving?

10. wayne jackson

always have san antonio

11. Nathanb1

Really. I've been wanting to go. I thought about Mansfield, too. :smile:

bdtex likes this.
  12. wayne jackson

lets go
    drink some smart whiskey and tekillya

13. John Davison

John Davison Retired User

Thanks for the leads and advise. My wife and I plan on hitting the road next year working our way from upstate NY South, with a side trip to Indiana ( my home state) to dig up as much info on the 52nd Indiana Infantry Regiment, My GGrandads regiment. Hasn't been very well documented --

Nathanb1 likes this.
  14. randoke

randoke Private

Good advice. I'm planning a Western theater trip for May. Got some good advice here.

15. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

This is old and you've probably been home for some time now, but ask @richard for all things Indiana.

16. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Thanks to all for the sage advice! Reading a synopsis or book about the history of the event prior to your trip may be helpful. Understanding a bit of what happened at the site may help one visualize the events when visiting in person.

James N. likes this.
  17. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

For several years back in the 90's this was the general "plan" I observed when visiting Revolutionary War battlefields but it could eeasily appily to the Civil War as well. The years 1995 - 2001 marked the 220th anniversary of the Revolution and I began to take what I term flying vacations - both because of part of the mode of travel as well as the speed I generally made once back on the ground - from here in North/East Texas (where absolutely nothing worthwhile ever happened) "back east". My trips generally concentrated on particular campaigns like Lexington-Concord-Bunker Hill; Forts Ticonderoga, William Henry, and Crown Point-Saratoga-Bennington; or like this year in Sept., Brandywine-Paoli-Germantown-Valley Forge. Back then I read things like Richard Ketchum's Saratoga or 1777 - Year of the Hangman before heading out and always carried with me Sol Stember's and Mark M. Boatner's wonderful guidebooks to finding and touring remote French-and-Indian and Revolutionary War locations.

MRB1863 likes this.
  18. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

I have found this method helpful for researching scores of sites! In fact, I have used the "research, then visit" strategy dozens of times alone in nearby Gettysburg. It works for me since during the research, I also print maps showing land features and troop movements. Take them along on your next adventure, it may work well for you too!

James N. likes this.
  19. dlavin

dlavin Sergeant

One of the things I have found helpful is asking the rangers for places/stops/trails not found on nps websites or on materials that they give out. So for me this applied for a return visit to Antietam, and probably would apply when you either are interested in a particular section of a battle or during a return trip or have lots of time. If you are at a battlefield for a first time and want to take everything in then the guided tours are great, but if you want to go at it alone or away from where everyone else is being pointed, it is best to get to know the ranger for a few minutes, and they are very helpful with markers or areas not on the guided tours.

James N. likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)