General question about National Archives

OParks

Private
Figured I'd ask before wasting time and money. I'm currently researching a 3rd great grandfather, his brother, and a couple of other soldiers, and I've been wanting to request record from the NA. What types of records do I need to request from the NA? Looks like there's a difference in the types of records you can request. My grandfather has pension records, was imprisoned during the war, and may have had hospital records as he had injuries that needed treated due to the Sultana disaster. My grandfather's brother has a listing on the soldiers and sailors database with National Park Service as being in the same unit as my grandfather, but I couldn't find him in the official roster of soldiers for the state of Ohio. It seems he just fell off the face of the earth. Does anyone know how backed up NA is with fulfilling requests? Have they been doing anything since last March? Any advice is most welcome!

Thank you!

Before the Covid I waited a long time for records. They are quite costly to me. What was disappointing was that several records on relatives I wanted had been destroyed in fire they had years ago.

But all in all I learned a lot on several relatives I did get. As to now don't know about how fast they would be.

Figured I'd ask before wasting time and money. I'm currently researching a 3rd great grandfather, his brother, and a couple of other soldiers, and I've been wanting to request record from the NA. What types of records do I need to request from the NA? Looks like there's a difference in the types of records you can request. My grandfather has pension records, was imprisoned during the war, and may have had hospital records as he had injuries that needed treated due to the Sultana disaster. My grandfather's brother has a listing on the soldiers and sailors database with National Park Service as being in the same unit as my grandfather, but I couldn't find him in the official roster of soldiers for the state of Ohio. It seems he just fell off the face of the earth. Does anyone know how backed up NA is with fulfilling requests? Have they been doing anything since last March? Any advice is most welcome!

Thank you!
I have done this in the past for individuals who were my ancestors and some who I suspected were related. There are two major types of records. There are the soldiers military records and then there are their pension records. If you're searching genealogical information the pension records are often times much better because the soldier had to prove who they were before they were to receive any disbursement.

Since I did obtain my records, a lot has changed. Much of the data and information can be obtained online. This is especially true of the record and pension indices which can be located in a number of websites. At minimum before you ever walk into the NA (it's huge) make sure you have the pension and record file numbers and as much pertinent information as you can get. Hope this helps.

NARA has completed their pilot project and is now taking appointments in the end of August. Research sessions are limited to four hours and twelve records which must be requested in advance so that the records have been pulled when you arrive. Many other COVID protocols regarding spacing, etc. are also in place.

NARA has completed their pilot project and is now taking appointments in the end of August. Research sessions are limited to four hours and twelve records which must be requested in advance so that the records have been pulled when you arrive. Many other COVID protocols regarding spacing, etc. are also in place.
When I was able to squeeze in a lengthy trip to the NA from Mississippi, 4 hours would have ever been sufficient time for my research. Four days maybe but never 4 hours.

When I was able to squeeze in a lengthy trip to the NA from Mississippi, 4 hours would [not] have ever been sufficient time for my research. Four days maybe but never 4 hours.
Don't make the mistake of reading anything. Just frantically copy everything as fast as you can :frantic: and read it when you get home. It was disappointing when they limited us to 4 hours but I'd take that now with a smile if I could get it.

(Hey, I don't think that I like what CWT did with the snow to my logo. Where'd everyone go!😵‍💫)

Don't make the mistake of reading anything. Just frantically copy everything as fast as you can :frantic: and read it when you get home. It was disappointing when they limited us to 4 hours but I'd take that now with a smile if I could get it.

(Hey, I don't think that I like what CWT did with the snow to my logo. Where'd everyone go!😵‍💫)
Good suggestion, but I was like a kid in a toy store with mouth agape!

Back