General Pemberton's Forts at Grenada

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
This is an article about a "hidden" Fort north of Grenada that was part of General Pemberton's defensive line in 1862.

Link: The Mississippi Forest Trail That Holds A Long Forgotten Secret Of The Civil War

Last year, I visited this area. I grew up in this area and my ancestors lived in Grenada/Yalobusha County. I had never seen a place with a historical marker and I had been away from there for years.
Now there are historical markers and information signs for the Confederate Fort (see map below, linked from article). There is a parking space at this location soon after you turn off Hiway No. 8 going East from Grenada During my trip last year, I only visited the fort that is located near Hiway 333--- not the "hidden" fort mentioned in the article.
The article points out that there are two forts. Quoting: Don’t feel like making the 2.2-mile trek to the historic fort? No problem. There’s actually a second fort, along with some cannons, located nearby.

The "Confederate Fort" with the cannons is located on the map, below.

Grenada Map1.JPG

Here are photos of the marker and Confederate Fort with cannons that I took last year.

Grenada Fort.JPG

A reconstructed for with replica cannons. It is rather bare but it is a fun place to stop for the kids. I wonder if this mound was how it looked in 1862 or if it was built-up.

Grenada Fort 2.JPG

Near this Confederate Fortand the parking area, there is a sign that designates an old road bed as the road that General van Dorn used for his raid on Holly Springs and General Grant's supply line. On my google map below, I have indicated the Confederate Fort(Yellow circle) and where I thought this hiking trail might have followed this old road. The article stated it was a 2.2 mile hike to the "hidden" Fort and you can see the spill-way on the Yalobusha River from this bluff. I have a RED arrow pointing to what appears to be the spillway and I marked in Orange the possible trail.
The article has a link to a map showing the location of the Lost Bluff Hiking Trail (denoted by the Star) further north on Hiway 333. This is 2.8 miles up the road from the Confederate Fort parking area. That would be a very long walk if the trail was to take you back down to the spillway.

Grenada Fort Map.jpg

I just wanted to post this article because I was not aware of another fort. I will put it on my calendar to go back down there an hike the Lost Bluff Hiking Trail and see what is out there.

If you have photos, please post it.

The things you find on a Saturday morning, drinking the last cup of coffee and scrolling past page 1 of CWT forums. Good stuff. I was aware of Grenada from some reading but not what CW-era sites,if any,were left there. Certainly didn't have time for a run there last month but it's now on the itinerary for future visits to Mississippi. As you know,I love places like that.

A Living History we did at the restored Fort along Hwy 333, on the Army Corps property. It won't let me post the picture...sorry

A living history at the Confederate Fort near Grenada Lake, off Hwy 333, on Army Corp property.
The guns are original 3 inch Ordnance Rifles; left proof number 454, right proof number 448. Number 448 fought at Vicksburg. We also had a 3 1/2 inch Blakeley on site for the weekend, one of 17 left and the only one in firing condition.
The Girls 2.jpg

Last edited:
This is an article about a "hidden" Fort north of Grenada that was part of General Pemberton's defensive line in 1862.

Link: The Mississippi Forest Trail That Holds A Long Forgotten Secret Of The Civil War

Last year, I visited this area. I grew up in this area and my ancestors lived in Grenada/Yalobusha County. I had never seen a place with a historical marker and I had been away from there for years.
Now there are historical markers and information signs for the Confederate Fort (see map below, linked from article). There is a parking space at this location soon after you turn off Hiway No. 8 going East from Grenada During my trip last year, I only visited the fort that is located near Hiway 333--- not the "hidden" fort mentioned in the article.
The article points out that there are two forts. Quoting: Don’t feel like making the 2.2-mile trek to the historic fort? No problem. There’s actually a second fort, along with some cannons, located nearby.

View attachment 316255

Here are photos of the marker and Confederate Fort with cannons that I took last year.

View attachment 316256

A reconstructed for with replica cannons. It is rather bare but it is a fun place to stop for the kids. I wonder if this mound was how it looked in 1862 or if it was built-up.

View attachment 316257

Near this Confederate Fortand the parking area, there is a sign that designates an old road bed as the road that General van Dorn used for his raid on Holly Springs and General Grant's supply line. On my google map below, I have indicated the Confederate Fort(Yellow circle) and where I thought this hiking trail might have followed this old road. The article stated it was a 2.2 mile hike to the "hidden" Fort and you can see the spill-way on the Yalobusha River from this bluff. I have a RED arrow pointing to what appears to be the spillway and I marked in Orange the possible trail.
The article has a link to a map showing the location of the Lost Bluff Hiking Trail (denoted by the Star) further north on Hiway 333. This is 2.8 miles up the road from the Confederate Fort parking area. That would be a very long walk if the trail was to take you back down to the spillway.

View attachment 316259

I just wanted to post this article because I was not aware of another fort. I will put it on my calendar to go back down there an hike the Lost Bluff Hiking Trail and see what is out there.

The spillway on Grenada Lake is NNW of this location. Your red arrow is pointing to a bridge on old Hwy 8 where it crosses Gibbs Creek. That road has long been closed and went east to Graysport and beyond. If the spillway can be seen from the 2nd fort, then it must be on the south bank of the Yalobusha before you get to the actual dam and spillway. Going north on 333 you'll come around a curve and the road continues across the massive earth dam. The spillway is on your left as you get on the dam...can't miss it. I remember doing a scout project back in the mid 70's where I led a field trip for an elementary class along some trails on that south side of the river before they put a large campground there. I do not recall climbing into the hills where the second fort must be. I say it must be on the south side of the river because the north side is completely flat for miles which would render a view of the spillway from the fort impossible. The south side has hills/bluffs. Re-reading your post, the star you placed is probably the trail to the second fort as this would take you NW. Can't wait to visit this next time I am there. This is fascinating as I grew up there and never knew there was another fort we could access. Looking forward to finding it as I'm nearby a lot. Thanks for this info!

The spillway is on your left as you get on the dam...can't miss it.
I was using a description someone gave me but I’m not referring to THE spillway behind the Dam. This “spillway” looks like the bed of an old bridge or even a road that spans the river to the Right. You can see it on G-Maps.

{Edited}
My quote:
I have a RED arrow pointing to what appears to be the spillway

Last edited:

View attachment 316255

View attachment 316256

View attachment 316257

View attachment 316259

The second (unrestored) fort is to the northwest of the fort alongside Hwy 333. If you take the Lost Bluff Trail you will find it. Lost Bluff is a rugged trail with sections you are nearly crawling straight up.

Back