Tell me more! General Orders 49 and Banks' Port Hudson Medal

CyleKostello

Sergeant
Hi folks,

Doing a bit of research on Port Hudson and came across this general order, issued after one of Banks’ assaults. The order is dated 6/15/1863 and reads as follows:

"Officers who lead the column of victory in this last assault may be assured of the just recognition of their services by promotion, and every officer and soldier who shares its perils and its glory shall receive a medal fit to commemorate the first grand success of the campaign of 1863 for the freedom of the Mississippi. His name will be placed in general orders upon the roll of honor."

Has anybody seen the medal mentioned in this general order? I have a Port Hudson medal in my collection. However mine has the likeness of Col. W.F Bartlett of the 49th Massachusetts. I find it hard to believe the vainglorious Banks would allow anybody but himself to grace his medal.

At any rate. If anybody knows anything about the mysterious medal of GO 49 please share!

Thanks,
Kyle

sFKS51p.jpeg

83UnxIr.jpeg

Screenshot (42).png

Last edited by a moderator:
NY Times has an 1896 article on a medal for Port Hudson, but one must buy a reprint. Do not know what medal it is. I searched Attack Medal for Port Hudson.
Thanks! I had found that article in my research. I think it’s talking about getting Medals of Honor for PH vets.
The article talks about how the medal was given to Maine troops for reenlisting, and to other troops for attending Lincoln’s funeral

CDB8EDF7-0510-432F-A4E4-097007F1610C.png

Back