General Meade Statue Against a Gray Sky

tlyne

Private
image_zpsyuhayzlg.jpg

image_zpsfkfzposk.jpg

image_zpst1tigbis.jpg

General Meade's horse, "Old "Baldy," was wounded around 7:15 p.m. on July 2, near Meade's headquarters at the Leister cottage, as Meade was leading the remnants of the Second and Third Divisions of the First Corps south toward the center of the Union line on Cemetery Ridge. (About this time a shell exploded in the ranks of the 16th Maine, wounding one officer and seven enlisted men, out of an estimated 67 enlisted men still remaining in their ranks.) Meade rode "Blackey" on July 3, according to Meade's staff officer (and son), Captain George Meade.

[Bachelder Papers, II:857]

These were taken the Monday after Easter, around 3:30-4:00 o'clock. The wind whipped up to gusts of 60 miles per hour, and blew in the clouds. It never did rain, but some of my pictures lean one way, or the other. I really had a hard time standing straight up.

These were taken the Monday after Easter, around 3:30-4:00 o'clock. The wind whipped up to gusts of 60 miles per hour, and blew in the clouds. It never did rain, but some of my pictures lean one way, or the other. I really had a hard time standing straight up.
Like a good photographer, you stuck it out for a great shot. Those clouds beautifully represent the storm clouds of battle!

As an Ohioan, I wanted some shots of the 8th Ohio Monument. The wind was blowing so hard, it looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. :bounce:

These are wonderful! I think the first is my favorite.
It is nice to see people still taking pictures of general meade it seems over the years he's gotten lost. I have always thought he was one of our better generals.

Back