General Longstreet's Monuments

If horse and rider where in the right proportion, the monument would be terrific. There is energy, power and drama in it, right as I imagine Longstreet.
But the size of the horse and it's weird proportions ruin all that. Not only that the legs are too short and in a strange angle, I think the head is too big, too.
To me, it is not a shame for Longstreet but for the artist who I think could not admit he did this wrong but fiddled with explanations why he did it that way.

Ha, thanks for the comment! I really need to consider making more videos like this.

First off, I failed to recognize that you did this video. My aplogies for that. I enjoyed the video as well. There are limited opportunities to interview Gettysburg monument sculptures as most have long passed. Therefore that video is so interesting. We can never have enough written posts, photo posts both then, now and in between, and videos. I learn from all forms of posted content. So please consider making more videos.

I consider all Gettysburg monuments to be an American Art treasure. With any artistic representation, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I try to separate the artistic representation of the monument from the actual action that the monument subject performed on the battlefield. It is magical to have both an artistic appealing monument representing one of your favorite regiments/subjects to come together.

Thanks for the thread @Gettysburg Greg . I personally think that the "monument" is a travesty and should be removed. It would be far better to have nothing than this. It is completely and totally disrespectful to the man and his memory. They should have opted for the original design.

All I can add to your post is this...................I AGREE......................

Respectfully,
William
Old Pete.jpg

Longstreet on West Confederate Avenue..
View attachment 128866

It has been nearly 20 years since the somewhat controversial Longstreet monument was unveiled on West Confederate Avenue. The long awaited sculpture of General Longstreet sits on the ground not a pedestal as all the other Gettysburg equestrian monuments are. According to the NPS the decision to not place the monument on a pedestal was strictly made due to restrictions on monument height due to "safety concerns". Many have expressed disappointment at the relative size of the horse compared to Longstreet. Some call it a pony, not a horse. As many of you know, Helen Longstreet, the general's widow, campaigned vigorously for a Longstreet monument back in 1940. She was successful in getting as far as approving a design and even ground breaking at a location near the present day Soldiers and Sailors monument on Warfield Ridge. However, when WWII broke out in 1941, the project was shelved. Here is a photograph of the original design for the Longstreet monument which, in my opinion, would have been far superior to the monument we see today. Of course, opinions vary.
View attachment 128865
I certainly agree. The proposed monument is far superior. I know Longstreet was a big man, but the statue that exists seems grossly out of proportion.

The original design was a classical pose, like this one of Alexander and Bucephalus. I think it could be pleasing, although having Longstreet waving his hat looks a little too much like jubilation for the context of Gettysburg. Overall, I like the more contemporary, more fluid and dynamic pose. I wouldn't mind the lack of a pedestal except that it seems like Longstreet is being insulted by being the only equestrian withOUT a pedestal. Still, if it's the second most popular monument on the battlefield, then it has certainly struck a successful chord with a great many people.
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 6.43.33 PM.png

I was watching a western on TV a while back and saw the optical illusion, where the rider momentarily looks oversized compared to the horse. It is interesting.

I just wish the Longstreet monument looked more like Longstreet. I just don't see him in it. Glad he finally got one, though. If he should be remembered anywhere, it's Gettysburg.

I'm a traditionalist. The monument should be on a pedestal. And I agree that the horse looks ridiculously small.

Back