General Longstreet's Comments at the 1888 Gettysburg Reunion

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Excellent in spite of the newspaper's typos! Thanks for sharing!
One can almost imagine his imposing figure, standing before the crowd, his booming voice delivering these word-pictures!
Sadly, in 1888 the booming voice was no more. The wounding had affected his voice and he was only able to utter a coarse, forced whisper for the rest of his days. That, and that he never again regained full control of his right arm greatly annoyed him.

War Horse

Captain
Forum Host
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Excellent in spite of the newspaper's typos! Thanks for sharing!
One can almost imagine his imposing figure, standing before the crowd, his booming voice delivering these word-pictures!
Unfortunately at this time he could barley speak over whisper thanks to his wound at the Wilderness.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
It only seems fitting that Ole Dan Sickles is by his side as he was a parasite for most of his life. Stealing and conflating events was his speciality. I can see the flies circling his head as he moved. Being beside Longstreet in the photo show his utter lack of decency sucking up to the man who defeated him on the 2nd Day.
Regards
David

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
It only seems fitting that Ole Dan Sickles is by his side as he was a parasite for most of his life. Stealing and conflating events was his speciality. I can see the flies circling his head as he moved. Being beside Longstreet in the photo show his utter lack of decency sucking up to the man who defeated him on the 2nd Day.
Regards
David
The two of them actually seem to have been on friendly terms after the war. Check out these threads for additional info:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/top-of-the-morning-to-you-from-gen-longstreet.132522/#post-1498562
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/longstreet-to-sickles-on-gettysburg-1902.145172/#post-1798773
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/oh-say-can-you-see-dan-sickles-sneaking-up-on-me.121706/page-2#post-1279498
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/i-love-a-good-anecdote-you-too.140558/page-2#post-1696806

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
Regards
David
I thought the same thing, but as @lelliott19 pointed out they seemed to have forged a friendship after the war. Helen Longstreet asked Sickles to write the foreword for her book, "Lee and Longstreet at High Tide: Gettysburg In The Light Of The Official Records." His account of his and Longstreet’s relationship from foes to friends is worth the read. The book is excellent! Helen was a newspaperwoman. She possessed all the investigative and writing skills necessary to separate fact from fiction. Her defense of her husband's reputation was indeed based on the Official Records.

jackt62

1st Lieutenant
I thought the same thing, but as @lelliott19 pointed out they seemed to have forged a friendship after the war. Helen Longstreet asked Sickles to write the foreword for her book, "Lee and Longstreet at High Tide: Gettysburg In The Light Of The Official Records." His account of his and Longstreet’s relationship from foes to friends is worth the read. The book is excellent! Helen was a newspaperwoman. She possessed all the investigative and writing skills necessary to separate fact from fiction. Her defense of her husband's reputation was indeed based on the Official Records.
Well that is quite amazing! But in retrospect, I guess that Sickles felt that befriending Longstreet was another way to get back at Meade, who probably would have court-marialed Sickles if not for his grievous wound that day.