General Longstreet at Gettysburg

Thank you Mr. Wolf, for the stories. Although I am already a great admirer of Lee's, anybody who loves animals and treats them like he did is especially super-ok in my book. Those stories tend to further validate my own personal belief that Lee had an old soul. Anybody familiar with reincarnation will know what that means.

Lee

Why only a short account?

Do not think the banty little rooster Mahone,should have been allowed to file an abreavated report at Gettysburg .Where the hell was he? His being a better Div. commander than brigade comander is a saving grace, but from a Historical standpoint his relative non disclosure stinks. :cannon:

Oh man, after the animal stories, for a minute there I genuinely thought you were talking about the missing pet chicken. (And had figured out its name!)

Great stories! I once read a book that was a fun read... it was "written" by Traveler in the first person. In other words, an imaginary account of Lee and the war as the horse understood it. (Traveler believed the south had won). A wonderful if fanciful read, interspersed with some history. Oh, by the way, it wasn't Traveler's fault when he threw massa Robert. Traveler said so right there in that book.

I have that! Traveller by Richard Adams, the guy who wrote Watership Down. Excellent read. But the end brought me to absolute tears.

I agree, it was a great book, as was Watership Downs. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed both immensely. I didn't realize Adams was the author of both... thanks. It makes sense. He has an uncanny ability to humanize animals.

I think Adams ended Traveler that way as his statement on war. There was glory in it, and bravery is much valued but in the end, like Traveler, the innocent beast who was a tool of war and never understood it, maybe like some men in war are too, war is in the end, sad. Adams in both books finds a way to glorify bravery and heroes, but in the end, he hates war as it is awful, and should be hated. The ending of Watership Down was not disimilar to Traveler. The heroes all died, but are remembered and revered fondly.

Back