Lee General Lee's monogram door knob

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
On this day in 1870 General Robert E. Lee died. See General Lee's monogram door knob from Arlington House on exhibit at The Gettysburg Museum of History.
#GeneralRobertELee #GettysburgMuseumOfHistory #ArlingtonHouse

22448149_10155624870301827_103873016923620126_n.jpg

I don't know. I don't see the L.

More to the point, I don't see why he would have commissioned a feature like that -- he only lived there for a few years, and it was part of his father-in-law's estate.

This is from the Gettysburg Museum of History.

Unfortunately, over the years I've found many mistakes in even reputable museums; often they merely unquestionably pass on whatever story accompanies a particular donated artifact. One of the worst examples - and certainly relevant in this thread - was in the Museum of the Texas Daughters of the Confederacy that used to occupy one floor of the 1850's Texas Land Office on one corner of the State Capitol square. It was ONE of Robert E. Lee's SPURS! It had absolutely NO explanation or other attribution so seemed particularly suspect. Another item in the same location was the cabinet card photo (a type dating from ca.1870) supposedly showing a Texas Confederate soldier - a young man holding a Trapdoor Springfield rifle (from the 1870's-1890's period) while wearing a Spanish-American War uniform, also from the 1890's. He may have been a Texan, but he was far too young to have been a soldier in the Civil War.

Let's not be confused---the Gettysburg Museum of History is a small privately owned museum/relic shop located in downtown Gettysburg displaying and selling various military memorabilia and other collectables. I would think it has no affiliation whatsoever with the National Park Service or any other federal institution.

Back