General Lee Leaving the McLean House

Lee’s poise always impressed me. With surrender terms more favorable than he could have hoped. He simply had to push the envelope and request more. That says it all about the mans character. I’d dare say, he was the original cool!

Although I'd say he was less cool than extremely mentally exhausted. He had said before that he'd rather die a thousand deaths than go and see Grant to talk surrender. But even here he tried to achieve the best for his army and at least that has worked out.
He must have felt sort of relieved for his troops, but utterly defeated himself.
I always have to swallow hard when I read that on his way back to his own lines he was cheered by his troups but could not speak, so he only raised his hat in last salute to all these brave men who went with him to this end.
I guess he started to realize that his surrender was the beginning of the end the war - which at the same time ended all dreams of establishing the Confederate States of America - and a whole era. Nobody would come home to a life as it was before the war.
He had done what he could and now he could do nothing more than return to his lines with his dignity saved by a generous opponent.
Greatness on all sides, that's what I perceive here.

I've been to this event the last two years and found both men to be convincing, friendly and easily approachable.
very nice. The fella in the background of the first picture has a very strong likeness to Sheridan. Thanks for posting
Lee's mount is a poor example of horse flesh. Almost looks like a mule.

Both "Lee" and "Grant" look very good; Grant's staff (other than possibly Sheridan) not so much - more like "typical" reenactors. "Sergeant Tucker" especially looks too old, but presumably he's the real owner of Lee's "charger."

Back