General Kemper's Signature?

shensinger1

Cadet
Hello! This is Susan H. from Columbus, OH.
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that is qualified to tell me if what I have is actually the handwriting of General J. L. Kemper. I came across a copy of "Sermons, Bearing on Subjects of the Day" by John Henry Newman. I didn't see any publication date. I don't know if that page fell out or if this was printed when it wasn't required to include the publication date. So I looked up the title of the book and found the date 1843. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean the book I had was printed then. But then I found this written in the front of the book - Kemper March 1844. I compared this to a verified signature of the General. Everyone I've shown it to says they think it was written by General Kemper. None of us are handwriting experts or Civil War historians. And I know that the signature can't be verified unless the signatures are seen and compared. But I haven't figured out how to attach pictures to this forum discussion yet. So right now all I'm looking for is someone out there that might be qualified to examine a picture of this and give me their opinion.
So if anyone has an email I can send pictures to that wouldn't mind looking at what I found please message me.

Thank you,
Susan Hensinger

Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I don't have any expertise in handwriting analysis, but would be glad to see a picture when you have figured how to attach the photo. The easiest way I found is to use the Upload a File button at the bottom.

I'd also like to tell you that Gen. James had a brother named Frederick. Professor Frederick Kemper founded the Kemper Family School. I live right across the street from it. While the campus has fallen on VERY hard times, I am constantly mindful of the history of the place and I love the fact that Gen. James Kemper was the brother of the founder of my neighbor's school!

Welcome, Susan. Here is his signature. See if it matches with his know signature and your copy of his signature.

[Battle of Gettysburg]. Confederate Brigadier General James L. Kemper Autograph Letter Signed as POW, with Clipped Signature. The letter is two pages of a bifolium, 5" x 8", "Fort McHenry" (a Baltimore military prison), September 7, 1863, to Nannie L. Pollock regarding the fate of her brother, Captain Thomas G. Pollock (a member of General Kemper's staff).... more text and photos at the link below
lf.jpeg

http://historical.ha.com/itm/autogr...-as-pow-with-clipped-signature/a/6118-49007.s

Hi Susan

Welcome to CivilWarTalk. Happy to have you aboard! If you would like to upload an image of the signature in question, you can create a new post below. Under the box where you type, on the lower right, you will see the upload a file button. Click that button, select the file from your computer, and click post reply.

There are many knowledgeable folks here who may be able to help you determine if the signature matches the one above posted by @Mike Serpa. And once again, welcome!

Back