General Joseph Kershaw

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
General Kershaw is one of the Civil War generals which did well despite not having real military training before the war. His service during the Civil War was good, but Kershaw is less famous that other general.

An even less famous general, one I had never even heard of until recently is the man who took over as colonel over Kershaw's regiment, (the 2nd South Carolina Infantry) after Kershaw's promotion and later became a brigadier general in his early twenties. John D. Kennedy (1840-1896) was a captain at the beginning of the war. Wounded six times in combat, he finished the war as a general and became the lieutenant governor of South Carolina after the war.

I've been searching for a book about him and his brigade. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I searched Amazon and found:

History of Kershaw's Brigade With Complete Roll of Companies, Biographical Sketches, Incidents, Anecdotes, etc
by D. Augustus Dickert (free on Kindle)

There is also a Volume 1 and Volume 2 by same author, NOT free on Kindle
Kershaw's Brigade - volume 1 - South Carolina's Regiments in the American Civil War - Manassas, Seven Pines, Sharpsburg (Antietam), Fredricksburg, ... Chattanooga, Fort Sanders & Bean Station

And of course there are versions of his Kershaw's reports, but I was looking for a little more.

Any insights would be great! Thanks!

Back