General John Pegram's wife Hetty

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
10376828_650202221718216_1294376529932808005_n.jpg

Hetty Carr Cary (May 15, 1836 – September 27, 1892) was the wife of CSA General John Pegram and, later, of pioneer physiologist H. Newell Martin. She is best remembered for making the first three battle flags of the Confederacy (along with her sister and cousin). Hetty was related to two of Virginia's most influential families, the Jeffersons (through her mother’s family) and the Randolphs (through her paternal grandmother, Virginia Randolph Cary). She was also a lineal descendant of Pocahontas. Henry Kyd Douglas, in I Rode with Stonewall, described Hetty as "the most beautiful woman of her day and generation" and "the handsomest woman in the Southland -- with her classic face, her pure complexion, her auburn hair, her perfect figure and her carriage, altogether the most beautiful woman I ever saw in any land."
http://www.redirectify.com/people/hetty-cary.html

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Robert E. Lee's letter of condolence after Pegram's death at Hatcher's Run. Wedding details on the second link.
http://www.patch.net/misc/relee.html
http://www.patch.net/misc/cary.html

My dear Mrs Pegram

I cannot find words to express my deep sympathy in your affliction, my sorrow at your loss. God alone can give you strength to bear the blow he has inflicted, and since it has been death by his hand I know it was sent in mercy. As dear as your husband was to you, as necessary apparently to his Country and as important to his friends, I feel assured it was best for him to go at the moment he did. His purity of character, his services to the Country and his devotion to his God, prepared him for the peace and rest he now enjoys. We are left to grieve at his departure, cherish his memory and prepare to follow. May God give us his Grace, that through the mediation of his blessed Son, we may be ready to obey his gracious Summons.

Truly and affy your friend
R E Lee
Petersburg 11 Feb '65​

Mrs Hetty Pegram

Discovered a couple of interesting facts regarding Hetty Cary while doing some research today. She was 43 when she married Henry Newell Martin in 1879 he was 31. He died in 1896 at 48 - she died 1892 at 56. Henry Newell Martin was born in Newry, County Down, Ireland. on July 1, 1848 He was a medical professor, although I found several different areas of studies that he could possibly have taught most tend to indicate biology, at John Hopkins in Baltimore. I can’t seem to find much on her 2nd marriage, however, I can’t help but wonder what might have been if her John Pegram had lived, and what did she do from 1864 until she married in 1879.

I did manage to find a copy of her wedding invitation for her 1st wedding to General Pegram - - -

Lubliner

First Sergeant
View attachment 38861

Hetty Carr Cary (May 15, 1836 – September 27, 1892) was the wife of CSA General John Pegram and, later, of pioneer physiologist H. Newell Martin. She is best remembered for making the first three battle flags of the Confederacy (along with her sister and cousin). Hetty was related to two of Virginia's most influential families, the Jeffersons (through her mother’s family) and the Randolphs (through her paternal grandmother, Virginia Randolph Cary). She was also a lineal descendant of Pocahontas. Henry Kyd Douglas, in I Rode with Stonewall, described Hetty as "the most beautiful woman of her day and generation" and "the handsomest woman in the Southland -- with her classic face, her pure complexion, her auburn hair, her perfect figure and her carriage, altogether the most beautiful woman I ever saw in any land."
http://www.redirectify.com/people/hetty-cary.html
She definitely knew how to sit for a photo. Wow!
Lubliner.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!