General John Bell Hood Frock Coat Wool Color: Movie Gettysburg ??

ferrissteve1

Private
Movie: Gettysburg
Any idea what color Gray Wool General Hood is portrayed with in the following pictures? To me, it looks almost like a Richmond Gray or almost Brown to my eyes. Was hoping someone might chime in with their thoughts. Thanks as always to those who respond.

00509721_H695095.jpg

gorman5.jpg

gorman8.jpg

Hood-Waits.jpg

Movin-in-front-of-those-rocky-hills-well-have-enfilade-fire-comin-down-on-us-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollywood gray .It almost looks black in some images . Don't get me started on Longstreet's hat .
Actually , the image I found shows Hood's existing uniform a blue-gray.

That fake beard is even more repulsive to me than that hat. I'd swear by the looks of that there were hair dryers in existence during the Civil War and they were used to style beards. I'd lean towards the Richmond gray if I was to choose a color for Hood's coat.

Hollywood Gray.....isn't that the truth. Plus the lighting of shots, post-production color correction etc all make it challenging to try and identify aspects of the production. But overall glad to hear I was barking up the right tree with a Richmond Gray.

Gorman was here during the 150th anniversary of First Manassas. That was in 2011. I have several pics of him while he was in attendance. It was screaming hot that day at 105 degrees. He didn't have his fakey beard on. Everyone was melting that day. He was a very personable and friendly guy. I spoke with him at great length and I told him about myself being a 2nd unit re-enactor in both "Gettysburg" and "G's and G's". He thought that was cool, but remarked that the young lady that was accompanying me was the belle of the ball.

My eyes must be getting worse, I think it's navy! The photo from the museum is almost blue.
Yes, it does look blue in the photo to me too.

QUOTE="Nathanb1, post: 1972563, member: 2666"]You may want to look up an old (I mean 2009 or so) conversation about Gettysburg and...nutria. I think we had something there....
1548352171517.png

View attachment 259209[/QUOTE]
Somehow this reminds me of a different movie...starring Chewbacca...

Thanks for posting the great photos. I wonder what happened to the uniform he was wearing when wounded. I wonder if it was destroyed back at the field hospital, or sent with him due to his rank.

Back