Longstreet General James Longstreet in the West A Monumental Failure.

I thought James Longstreet was born in South Carolina and moved to Georgia at a young age?

This is a statement from chapter 1 of the book in question. Is this a factual statement?

I have always thought one was a native of where they were born, but perhaps I have always been wrong...........lol

Longstreet, a native of Georgia, had transplanted himself to Alabama in order to obtain an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point in the class of 1842.

Judith Lee Hallock. General James Longstreet in the West: A Monumental Failure (Civil War Campaigns and Commanders Series) (Kindle Locations 832-833). State House Press. Kindle Edition.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

There are no reference notes or citations included in Hallock's book, just lots of inaccurate statements. For example, she actually says General Longstreet left the scene right before Pickett’s charge to take a nap (page 23 I think). Are you kidding me!!! The book is loaded with subjective half-truths and conjecture. She blatantly ignores the vast amount of contradicting evidence found in correspondence and reports of the Official Records of the War. The book is about 84 pages if you skip all the pictures and diagrams so it's a fairly quick read. If you read it, it will leave you wondering what the heck James Longstreet ever did to her? Let's just say I hope I never meet her! :stomp:

Hooker and Hazen faced him head on not in a campaign of pen and ink and a complete difference from my post regarding Early, Maury and Pendleton and their smear campaign
Regards
David

The book in question in this thread, that is its purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=judith+lee+hancock+longstreet&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Evidently you don't understand what we're talking about here.

Thanks for the link. The thread title is, "General Jame (sic) Longstreet in the West A Monumental Failure."

I'll see if I can make time to look at your book to show me the thread premise is accurate. Or, you didn't read the premise and don't understand what we're talking about. Takes all kinds.

Thanks for the link. The thread title is, "General Jame (sic) Longstreet in the West A Monumental Failure."

I'll see if I can make time to look at your book to show me the thread premise is accurate. Or, you didn't read the premise and don't understand what we're talking about. Takes all kinds.

OK I corrected the title, thanks for catching the missing "s"

I do have a good excuse for purchasing the book. I looked over my personal library and have about 5 books on Vicksburg that I have not read. Today I decided that I should drive to the used book store in Ann Arbor Michigan to see if they had some more books on Vicksburg. The used book store had maybe another 5 or 6 books about Vicksburg. However, I did not much care for the looks of them. I hated to drive 65 miles and not purchase anything so bought this book and a couple others that I normally would pass up. The book store only has perhaps 300 plus used Civil War books and thus my choices were limited.

My plan was to go to the King used book store in Detroit that has 3,000 to 4,000 used Civil War books, but got tied up doing other things and did not want to go to that part of Detroit that late in the day. With perhaps 4,000 used Civil War books, I can usually find at least one or two books I want.

There are no reference notes or citations included in Hallock's book, just lots of inaccurate statements. For example, she actually says General Longstreet left the scene right before Pickett’s charge to take a nap (page 23 I think). Are you kidding me!!! The book is loaded with subjective half-truths and conjecture. She blatantly ignores the vast amount of contradicting evidence found in correspondence and reports of the Official Records of the War. The book is about 84 pages if you skip all the pictures and diagrams so it's a fairly quick read. If you read it, it will leave you wondering what the heck James Longstreet ever did to her? Let's just say I hope I never meet her! :stomp:

Did Longstreet really take a nap during Pickett's Charge? One would think the noise would have made taking a nap difficult. I sure hope Pickett did not wake up Longstreet to tell him the attack failed, waking up a napping Longstreet would simply be rude.

Today I purchased a book by this name by Judith Lee Hallock.
Ms. Hallock was the protege of the late Dr. Grady McWhiney, who among other works, wrote Braxton Bragg and Confederate Defeat (Volume I). Ms. Hallock then wrote Volume II of the same series. They both offer some interesting insights into General Bragg, so I am somewhat surprised she would be so apparently careless in her research on her Longstreet book (although I do not have it, so can make no independent judgement myself). At any rate, she should be well-qualified as a Civil War historian.

I thought James Longstreet was born in South Carolina and moved to Georgia at a young age?

This is a statement from chapter 1 of the book in question. Is this a factual statement?

I have always thought one was a native of where they were born, but perhaps I have always been wrong...........lol

Longstreet, a native of Georgia, had transplanted himself to Alabama in order to obtain an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point in the class of 1842.

Judith Lee Hallock. General James Longstreet in the West: A Monumental Failure (Civil War Campaigns and Commanders Series) (Kindle Locations 832-833). State House Press. Kindle Edition.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 309742
Longstreet was born in Edgefield, SC or nearby which is just a bit on the north side of the river from Augusta, GA. His father had a plantation near Gainesville which was much more rural. His father sent him to live with an uncle and aunt living in Augusta when he was about 8 to 10 years old so he could get a better education. When his father died a couple of years later his mother moved to live with relatives in north Alabama. Pete continued to live with his uncle. Longstreet didn't exactly transplant himself to Alabama. His mother had lived there a few years and she had kin there. One of which was a congressman. He was able to get the appointment for Pete.

I just checked my Kindle library and I have this book on it. I purchased it and forgotten all about it. Thank you for making me check it........lol

I will have to get around to reading it !! Either way good or bad it will give me another perspective of one's view !!

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 309725
Well, I must be the only person who is NOT a fan of Longstreet. Not only did he "disagree" with Lee on tactics, he was very jealous of Jackson and Stuart and the attention they got. Both were "offensive generals," something old Pete was not. Was he a loyal subordinate of Lee's? Sometimes, but he made it known that he greatly favored the defensive tactics of Joe Johnston and wanted Lee to fight the same way. Old Pete even tried to be transferred to Johnston at one point in the war. How Lee put up with his moody corp commander is something I will never understand.

Longstreet thought he was better than he really was and he was certainly "gunning" to replace Bragg if Davis had pulled the plug on that terrible leader and general. In hindsight, that should have happened. But since it didn't happen, Longstreet slowly found his way back to Lee and VA. It was the spring of 1864 that Longstreet was probably happiest because the ANV had to fight defensively. That suited Longstreet to a T.

Back