Longstreet General James Longstreet in the West A Monumental Failure.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today I purchased a book by this name by Judith Lee Hallock. So before I read it, will the author be fair to Longstreet? Was Longstreet really a "monumental failure"? Was he even a failure? I am not sure how to judge Longstreet in the West. I thought General Longstreet practically won the Battle of Chickamauga almost by himself. The title alone makes me wonder if the author is objective on the subject.

Today I purchased a book by this name by Judith Lee Hallock. So before I read it, will the author be fair to Longstreet? Was Longstreet really a "monumental failure"? Was he even a failure? I am not sure how to judge Longstreet in the West. I thought General Longstreet practically won the Battle of Chickamauga almost by himself. The title alone makes me wonder if the author is objective on the subject.

its rated one star on amazon…...doesn't go any lower :bounce:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWLOD3U/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

I just checked my Kindle library and I have this book on it. I purchased it and forgotten all about it. Thank you for making me check it........lol

I will have to get around to reading it !! Either way good or bad it will give me another perspective of one's view !!

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

I just checked my Kindle library and I have this book on it. I purchased it and forgotten all about it. Thank you for making me check it........lol

I will have to get around to reading it !! Either way good or bad it will give me another perspective of one's view !!

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 309725
I thought I was the only one who does things like that.

Was Longstreet really a "monumental failure"? Was he even a failure? I am not sure how to judge Longstreet in the West. I thought General Longstreet practically won the Battle of Chickamauga almost by himself.
I'm guessing Ms. Hallock is perhaps generalizing Longstreet in the Knoxville campaign into Longstreet in the West? He didnt quite win Chickamauga by himself, but he did pretty well there. If he can be classified as "Monumental Failure" anywhere, it would be at Knoxville /Fort Sanders.

I'm guessing Ms. Hallock is perhaps generalizing Longstreet in the Knoxville campaign into Longstreet in the West? He didnt quite win Chickamauga by himself, but he did pretty well there. If he was a "Monumental Failure" anywhere, it was at Knoxville /Fort Sanders.

Well either way she best not be to mean on old Pete :smile:

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

If she is, she'll have to contend with me, @Eleanor Rose and @FarawayFriend :nah disagree:
A catfight of "monumental" proportions - with hair pulling and what-not - would not be good for her book tour.:D:bounce::D

Wow, I have not witnessed a good old catfight since my first ex-wife first met my new wife to be...........lol

I am positive all of you would do a toe tapping dance on her knogging.........lol

It surely will not help her book tour. Did she have a book tour? Is she doing a book tour? :smile:

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

I've no opinion on and will avoid a Catfight at all costs, but,

Longstreet was really only ever in the west at Chickamauga Creek. That worked out pretty well for his Army.

There's been pixel ink spilled in these forums in defense of Union General Rosecrans, but he really doesn't deserve it.

Longstreet whipped him. How a book gets written saying otherwise is beyond me. Probably just the current, re-write of history to satisfy modern agendas. Whatever.

Hyperbole in a book title is usually a turnoff for me. Not too much doubt that while Longstreet got off to a great start at Chickamauga, it was pretty much downhill from there. Knoxville was the low point. By no means all Longstreet's fault, though he played a major part. I'm looking forward to feedback from those of you who have purchased the book.

Howdy Major Bill. Thanks for bringing this book to our attention. i am interested in what your take on it is once you read it. I will not read her book as I discount the premise of the title totally. Longstreet was not a failure in the West. Braxton Bragg was the monumental failure. As for Knoxville: his mission at that fight was destined for failure for numerous reasons, none of which I will address here. As far as East Tenn., I believe he was successful in some of the things he tried to do. I could name some of those also but time and lack of interest in debunking books with titles created just to sell another Longstreet book is something this old sailor won't waste my time with. I hope you get back to us with your impression.

Longstreet was really only ever in the west at Chickamauga Creek. That worked out pretty well for his Army.
It's Knoxville, Drew. I think she's talking about the Knoxville Campaign. Surely shes not calling Longstreet at Chickamauga a "Monumental Failure." It's gotta be Knoxville/Fort Sanders. Overall, the assault on Fort Sanders was can rightly be called a disaster. Although there's plenty of blame to go around and I'm not sure it can all be classified as Pete's fault. :nah disagree: Maybe she just hasn't studied the Battle of Fort Sanders sufficiently to make an accurate judgement. Still, if after reading it, @major bill reports that she was "mean to Longstreet," she may have to contend with the three female members of the Longstreet Fan Club. :D

Love Longstreet for many reasons but especially for the care of his troops and his husbanding of their lives. He had his faults but by all standards he was a stand up man who faced his enemies and life face on!
He ran afoul of Early and other prevaricating Lee worshippers
Regards
David

Longstreet was really only ever in the west at Chickamauga Creek. That worked out pretty well for his Army...
...Longstreet whipped him. How a book gets written saying otherwise is beyond me. Probably just the current, re-write of history to satisfy modern agendas. Whatever.

There was far more to Longstreet out west than Chickamauga; his involvement in the Chattanooga and Knoxville campaigns, both of which he buggered up. Now I think Longstreet was the best corps commander of the war, on either side, but he did poorly out west after Chickamauga. What that has to do with modern agendas is beyond me. You should get hep to what happened with Longstreet before going into tiresome anti PC mode. And read a book before judging it.

The book, which I used to own, was published quite some time ago, 20-25 years I'm guessing.

Love Longstreet for many reasons but especially for the care of his troops and his husbanding of their lives. He had his faults but by all standards he was a stand up man who faced his enemies and life face on!
He ran afoul of Early and other prevaricating Lee worshippers
Regards
David

He also fell afoul of Hooker and Hazen in Lookout Valley.

There was far more to Longstreet out west than Chickamauga; his involvement in the Chattanooga and Knoxville campaigns, both of which he buggered up. Now I think Longstreet was the best corps commander of the war, on either side, but he did poorly out west after Chickamauga. What that has to do with modern agendas is beyond me. You should get hep to what happened with Longstreet before going into tiresome anti PC mode. And read a book before judging it.

The book, which I used to own, was published quite some time ago, 20-25 years I'm guessing.

What book? Name it?

Chickamauga was the second largest battle of the War, after Gettysburg. Longstreet carried the day.

If that twists Union underwear, so be it. I'd like to know what book I'm supposed to read that says different.

Back