Grant General Grant's Kepi

The only other hat I seen Grant in was a Hardee Hat.

successful union commander in a kepi.... General Philip Kearny

IIRC Albert S. Johnston, Braxton Bragg, P.G.T. Beauregard wore Kepis.

I've got an engraving with Sheridan holding a kepi in his hand... that sorta counts right?
He did wear one after the war, especially when he was "General of the Army". When he was sent to France to observe the Franco-Prussian War, he was attached to the French Army. He was real French-looking, all decked out with his US Army blues and his Frenchy little kepi. It nearly got him killed. The Germans took him for a Frenchman. (It was probably the lack of adequate body odor that helped him convince them that he wasn't french)

I tried another search and found a painting with Jackson wearing one, but no photo. Also checked out Lee and (recalling the movie Gettysburg) Pickett and again there were no photos of either of them wearing a kepi. Surprised me about Pickett.
And I always believed portrayals in movies were accurate. LOL.

Pat Cleburne wore a kepi,and perhaps the only reason he did,was that it was a gift.Pretty sentimental.I have also been told that he wore the chin strap to the rear,and it bunched up his hair in a peculiar way.Hard to imagine Grant wearing one,but I believe he most likely owned one as part of his dress uniform.Maybe he had it during the grand review.

Pat Cleburne wore a kepi,and perhaps the only reason he did,was that it was a gift.Pretty sentimental.I have also been told that he wore the chin strap to the rear,and it bunched up his hair in a peculiar way.Hard to imagine Grant wearing one,but I believe he most likely owned one as part of his dress uniform.Maybe he had it during the grand review.

I think there is only one, possibly two, pictures of A P Hill in a real uniform. Most of his are in partial uniforms or personalized. My favorite, speaking of hats, was Hill's huge RED sombrero he wore during the Mexican War. There's a piece of headgear will keep you shaded and dry for sure! :laugh:

I have a picture of Jackson's worn out old forage hat from VMI. It was was union blue.
I tried another search and found a painting with Jackson wearing one, but no photo. Also checked out Lee and (recalling the movie Gettysburg) Pickett and again there were no photos of either of them wearing a kepi. Surprised me about Pickett.
And I always believed portrayals in movies were accurate. LOL.
According to a few accounts, like William Owen of the Washington Artillery, described Jackson at First Manassas wearing an m1839 forage cap from the Mexican War era. He supposedly had 2 Mcdowell style forage caps, the m1839 and a slouch hat.

M1839 forage cap
1_44c588723ba335197018c375409b6b28.jpg

Kepis are more a "fashion statement" it seems me. The low crown makes it nearly impossible to squish one far enough down on the head for much purchase. Pretty useless in the field, though many rebel soldiers wore them. The yanks, especially later in the war pretty much universally wore the forage cap.

The forage cap, as it's name implies, is for foraging. Hence the deep bag-like crown. You could get a lot of apples in there! The origins could well be from removing the frame from a shako, Private Shattuck. Never thought of it that way.

Jackson apparently did wear his 1839 "wheel hat" (as seen in AUG351's post above ) at First Manassas. He also wore his U.S. blue uniform.

"little Phil" Sheridan is often associated with the little narrow-brimmed, low crown "pork pie" hat.

He might have had it, but in my recollection, it's not visible in the photo of the reviewing stand we've dissected. Maybe he carried it and THEN sat on it, like Diane suggested. :smile:

Or on march, he threw it down, and a lucky soldier picked it up and then the soldier sat on it ! :frantic:

Back