Grant General Grant: "This reminds me of my little girl at home"

rosefiend

First Sergeant
g=PA98&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3-tDw9OswDKMwxY6QtH-JJ4Id_GA&ci=180%2C605%2C813%2C818&edge=0.png

I thought this was an interesting story. It's from Camp and field. Sketches of army life written by those who followed the flag. '61-'65. This particular story seems to capture an interesting snapshot of General Grant in an unguarded moment.

(I gaaked this image from Google Books if you want to take a gander.)

Attachments

• g=PA98&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3-tDw9OswDKMwxY6QtH-JJ4Id_GA&ci=180%2C605%2C813%2C818&edge=0.png
    g=PA98&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3-tDw9OswDKMwxY6QtH-JJ4Id_GA&ci=180%2C605%2C813%2C818&edge=0.png
    28 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Very touching indeed. The written word by jounalists et al created opinion. When coming face to face with the reality of the moment, as this clergyman did in seeing Grant not as the newspapers had described him, one of the many facets of truth come to light. The open-minded can add that knowledge to what he/she already has, and create a new understanding.

It is hard to gage the veracity of this story but I like it and thank you for posting it.

You're welcome. It might be true, it might be false, or dolled up. But this fits in with the character of the fellow who wrote the Memoirs, so I thought it worthy of mention.

Very touching indeed. The written word by jounalists et al created opinion. When coming face to face with the reality of the moment, as this clergyman did in seeing Grant not as the newspapers had described him, one of the many facets of truth come to light. The open-minded can add that knowledge to what he/she already has, and create a new understanding.

I think that's very true.

I think rosecrans was a more compassionate and knightly general

Well, go on and dig up a Rosecrans story showing his compassionate and knightly side, and we'll parley!

I thought this was an interesting story. It's from Camp and field. Sketches of army life written by those who followed the flag. '61-'65. This particular story seems to capture an interesting snapshot of General Grant in an unguarded moment.

Very, very sweet, Rose! Thank you for this little treasure, which brought a tear and a smile. Perhaps it is, as Oldman says, hard to verify -- but to me, it sure sounds like Grant.

Attachments

• g=PA98&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3-tDw9OswDKMwxY6QtH-JJ4Id_GA&ci=180%2C605%2C813%2C818&edge=0.png
    28 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
You're welcome. It might be true, it might be false, or dolled up. But this fits in with the character of the fellow who wrote the Memoirs, so I thought it worthy of mention.

Well, go on and dig up a Rosecrans story showing his compassionate and knightly side, and we'll parley!
It was just a joke

Enjoyed this story, Rosefiend. Thanks for sharing it. Even if it is not true, it seems to reflect a popular opinion of General Grant based on a couple images I've seen of a CDV illustration showing Grant, his young daughter and a dog. Two similar images, apparently by different artists (one who evidently likes Newfoundland dogs and the other who seems to favor spaniels), have turned up on Pinterest. I wonder if these might have been inspired by the Virginia clergyman's story.

Attachments

• 2 Views of Grant w daughter and dog.jpg
    2 Views of Grant w daughter and dog.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 190

so I thanked Tumbleweed for your post, Rosefiend, so sorry! Looking at the date only thing I can plead is lack of sleep, seems more than the normal amounts of whiftiness. Glad it came up again. At the age where reading the same story with some time elapsing between makes it almost new! :D Grandmom was like that but enjoyed it because she said there were only so many good jokes in the world.

Attachments

28 KB · Views: 28
Enjoyed this story, Rosefiend. Thanks for sharing it. Even if it is not true, it seems to reflect a popular opinion of General Grant based on a couple images I've seen of a CDV illustration showing Grant, his young daughter and a dog. Two similar images, apparently by different artists (one who evidently likes Newfoundland dogs and the other who seems to favor spaniels), have turned up on Pinterest. I wonder if these might have been inspired by the Virginia clergyman's story.

No, really?? So funny! Must remember to add it to the thread- have one somewhere on the Pinterest photos they keep coming up with! These really do spread so quickly, too! Favorite has to be ' Lincoln at Ford's Theatre ', with all 4 theatre goers in the box and Booth standing right behind them?

A good story, rose fiend. It certainly gives us--at the least--an idea of what people were thinking about Grant, if this was a passed on anecdote.

Here's another anecdote about an encounter between Grant and a young child, this one posted by the Monocacy National Battlefield on its Facebook page. It's part of a slightly longer post about a meeting between Generals Grant and Sheridan that you can read here.

"The morning of August 6, 1864 was a quiet one. Gen. Grant was possibly invited to eat breakfast with the Thomas Family. As the story goes, after he had finished breakfast, he lifted young Virginia Thomas onto his lap and asked, "Well Virginia, what are your father and mother? Are they Rebels or Yankees?" Virginia replied, "Mamma, she's a Rebel, but Papa, he is a Rebel when the Rebels are here and ...a Yankee when the Yankees are here." A tense moment passed before Grant laughed and merriment was restored to the house."

Great article thanks for sharing it.

Back