General George McClellan’s Gun??

KMcClellan24

Cadet
90B84488-679A-49C6-A70A-5D29D3DB4A48.jpeg

Hello All! My last name is McClellan and I’m “supposedly” related to General George McClellan. I’m posting to find out more information about him, but most importantly we have a gun that has been passed down that’s supposedly his gun. I’ll attach a picture. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I agree with JOHN42768 that your revolver is an Allen & Wheelock (made from 1858 - 1861) but a 31 caliber Pocket model rather than the 36 caliber Navy model. Looking at your photo I see that the cylinder isn't quite indexed properly. If the cylinder was in proper battery it appears that it is a Pocket model 5 shot cylinder versus the Navy model 6 shot cylinder.

Navy model - top
Pocket model - bottom
20210111_210246.jpg

Nice looking revolver and story. Have you every sat down with your oldest family member for a full story?

How did the Allen & Wheelcock cylinder pistols come to be with the Colt revolving cylinder patent being in place? Was the Colt patent expired at that point?

I have a few Allen pepperboxes, and I've read a couple times that the Pepperboxes (1845ish) came about because of the Colt revolver patent. Hey, any Allen Pepperbox parts out there?

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississppi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
I would suggest you post your photo and questions on the Small Arms and Edged Weapons Forum listed below.
Regards
David

Back