General George McClellan’s Gun??

KMcClellan24

Cadet
90B84488-679A-49C6-A70A-5D29D3DB4A48.jpeg

Hello All! My last name is McClellan and I’m “supposedly” related to General George McClellan. I’m posting to find out more information about him, but most importantly we have a gun that has been passed down that’s supposedly his gun. I’ll attach a picture. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Mark A

Corporal
I agree with JOHN42768 that your revolver is an Allen & Wheelock (made from 1858 - 1861) but a 31 caliber Pocket model rather than the 36 caliber Navy model. Looking at your photo I see that the cylinder isn't quite indexed properly. If the cylinder was in proper battery it appears that it is a Pocket model 5 shot cylinder versus the Navy model 6 shot cylinder.

Navy model - top
Pocket model - bottom
20210111_210246.jpg

RobertH

Private
Nice looking revolver and story. Have you every sat down with your oldest family member for a full story?

How did the Allen & Wheelcock cylinder pistols come to be with the Colt revolving cylinder patent being in place? Was the Colt patent expired at that point?

I have a few Allen pepperboxes, and I've read a couple times that the Pepperboxes (1845ish) came about because of the Colt revolver patent. Hey, any Allen Pepperbox parts out there?

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Interesting story and that's a great piece of family history. If you do a search... you'll see there's lots of information about McClellan on this forum.