Forrest General Forrest Reinternment May 23

And yet if the rumors painted the SCV in a positive light, or were bad rumors about the people who caused this mess in government, I have the feeling you'd be doing cartwheels and jumping with joy.

Too bad you missed my original point, that the existence of these rumors originating on the pro-Confederate/Forrest side of the farce is a concerning development, not the rumor itself. But where there's smoke there's fire, especially when there's such a large amount of anger growing at the SCV by large numbers of folks dedicated to preserving Confederate history and heritage.

I mean, when the CiC, most recent Past-CiC who's head of the mess have to literally post warnings and threats at anyone who questions them before any news release, something is rotten. (But don't take my word for it, look for it on Facebook, they're doing this when the only ones seeing the updates is on the friends list of they're personal profiles, and that ain't no rumor.)
As someone who sees what they post, I know that's not a rumor... it's a flat out lie. The updates they're posting on their private pages are the same ones going out to the public. The only warnings they are posting are for those on their friends lists who might cause undue problems in the comments, and the repercussion would be that they unfriend/block someone, which is their right to do on their personal pages.

Just because the rumors originate from sources that claim to be pro-Confederate/pro-Forrest doesn't mean they don't have personal grudges against SCV leadership that override whatever care for their heritage & the history they may have... and the fact that rumors & flat out falsehoods are causing so many to get in a frenzy only proves the natural damage that such things do. That's why real Southern gentlemen don't engage in spreading them.

I wondered about that myself.
I thought they said the coffins/caskets were intact.
They referred to their “vaults” but when asked for details, they said it looked just like a “coffin”. A little confused because they said his wife’s vault had disintegrated.

AND it appears photos WERE taken after the coffin/bodies were removed.
614DD90E-66C1-4CB5-80BA-A156B3B24923.jpeg

If the SCV "was charging fees to people to watch the General and his wife get dug up from a distance," this would have been reported in the local newpapers. It was not. Instead they reported on Tami Sawyer, the Shelby County commissioner who led the campaign to remove statues of Confederate leaders around Memphis, being heckled by a Sons of Confederate Veterans volunteer as she spoke to reporters at the site. It wasn't a great decision for her to host a news conference during the excavation, but it certainly wasn't a good look for a SCA volunteer to be waving a Confederate flag and loudly singing “Dixie” (“I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten”) as she described how her enslaved ancestors had picked cotton.

I agree with William Sturkey, a historian at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who has written about Forrest’s enduring hold on many white Southerners. He describes Forrest as the “the most unrepentant soldier of maybe the entire conflict.” I know Forrest's defenders will cite his call for racial reconciliation in a speech before the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association, a fraternal organization of Black men, but that doesn't wipe his slate clean for me. I can't overlook the fortune that he made through the slave trade, his role in the Ku Klux Klan or his role in the massacre at Fort Pillow in 1864, when forces led by him killed hundreds of Union soldiers, most of them Black, as they tried to surrender. Forrest had military skills, but so did a lot of others.

Of course this is just my opinion. And I am a born and bred "Southern belle" so I have plenty of them. :giggle:

I'm two counties west of Forrest County on Hwy 98.
And although I'm an Ole Miss "alum" . . . most of my family attended The University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg.

So, I'm sure you know before USM adopted the name " Golden Eagles" during the early 1970's,
they were known as "The Southerners".

Their mascot being a student dressed as a Confederate General, riding a beautiful charger. The mascot was named " General Nat".
(For guess who)

I was once married to a Memphis girl, so I can relate to everything about that city.

I wondered about that myself.
I thought they said the coffins/caskets were intact.
Surely they didn't open those !

But that's a morbid topic ... so I shall say no more.
Off topic, but I am a Memphis State grad and fan. Been hysterical at many Memphis vs Southern and Memphis vs Ole Miss games.

My youngest daughter and her husband live in Hattiesburg but are state grads. And wouldn't you know it, we open the football season with State this year!

Been hysterical at many Memphis vs Ole Miss games.
Yeah, so many memories of all those games.
For years Ole Miss & Memphis State were the traditional "season opener" for both universities.

They referred to their “vaults” but when asked for details, they said it looked just like a “coffin”. A little confused because they said his wife’s vault had disintegrated.

AND it appears photos WERE taken after the coffin/bodies were removed.
View attachment 404622

I appreciate the photo, but I don't know what to think about this image.

Vaults protect the coffin/casket from the elements . . . so it does appear the remains of the coffins/corpses have been removed from the concrete vaults.

Love Forrest or hate Forrest, "digging up" any grave (for whatever reason) is barbaric ... IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, so many memories at all those games.
For years Ole Miss & Memphis State were the traditional "season opener" for both universities.

I appreciate the photo, but I don't know what to think about this image.

Vaults protect the coffin/casket from the elements . . . so it does appear the remains of the coffins/corpses have been removed from the concrete vaults.

Love Forrest or hate Forrest, "digging up" any grave (for whatever reason) is barbaric ... IMO.

I agree , if the wind blows a certain direction in current affairs it’s dig them up and turf them out. I’m not a fan I’ll meet the PC types in the middle to a certain degree but this is sacrilege in my book.

I agree , if the wind blows a certain direction in current affairs it’s dig them up and turf them out. I’m not a fan I’ll meet the PC types in the middle to a certain degree but this is sacrilege in my book.
Same here !

I try to get along with every one . . . no matter their religion, politics, ect.
But this stuff is indeed sacrilege.

Yeah ... I was one of the original people saying "move em ".
But when @DixieRifles posted that picture, it brought everything into focus.

Digging up the dead is wrong on all levels.
Here, they like defiling and toppling statues of long dead Catholics. These people are ignorant and vicious.
I understand.

Not a day goes by that some group is tearing down statues in California, Nevada, New Mexico, ect.
The same thing is happening all over Latin America. (From Paraguay up to Mexico)

Yep, those dreaded Spanish Colonials in the service of their Catholic Majesties .

But it all started in Memphis, Tennessee.
When the graves of General and Mrs. Nathan Bedford Forrest became a modern political issue.

Last edited:
Same here !

I try to get along with every one . . . no matter their religion, politics, ect.
But this stuff is indeed sacrilege.

Yeah ... I was one of the original people saying "move em ".
But when @DixieRifles posted that picture, it brought everything into focus.

Digging up the dead is wrong on all levels.

I understand.

Not a day goes by that some group is tearing down statues in California, Nevada, New Mexico, ect.
The same thing is happening all over Latin America. (From Paraguay up to Mexico)

But it all started in Memphis, Tennessee.

When the graves of General and Mrs. Nathan Bedford Forrest became a modern political issue.
I’ve said it before…I have no ties to the South or any Southerner, but digging up a man’s grave because of politics is beyond disgusting.

The statues and monuments they are trashing nearer to my parts also sickens me. We stand on the shoulders of giants and some only seem fit to spit on their legacies. Shameful beyond belief.

If the SCV "was charging fees to people to watch the General and his wife get dug up from a distance," this would have been reported in the local newpapers. It was not. Instead they reported on Tami Sawyer, the Shelby County commissioner who led the campaign to remove statues of Confederate leaders around Memphis, being heckled by a Sons of Confederate Veterans volunteer as she spoke to reporters at the site. It wasn't a great decision for her to host a news conference during the excavation, but it certainly wasn't a good look for a SCA volunteer to be waving a Confederate flag and loudly singing “Dixie” (“I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten”) as she described how her enslaved ancestors had picked cotton.

I agree with William Sturkey, a historian at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who has written about Forrest’s enduring hold on many white Southerners. He describes Forrest as the “the most unrepentant soldier of maybe the entire conflict.” I know Forrest's defenders will cite his call for racial reconciliation in a speech before the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association, a fraternal organization of Black men, but that doesn't wipe his slate clean for me. I can't overlook the fortune that he made through the slave trade, his role in the Ku Klux Klan or his role in the massacre at Fort Pillow in 1864, when forces led by him killed hundreds of Union soldiers, most of them Black, as they tried to surrender. Forrest had military skills, but so did a lot of others.

Of course this is just my opinion. And I am a born and bred "Southern belle" so I have plenty of them. :giggle:
I recommend a thorough understanding of the cause and effect of Fort Pillow before fully accepting the propaganda

Back