Forrest GENERAL FORREST LOSES HIS YOUNGER BROTHER…

Jeffery was shot to death at Okolona.
Aaron died of pneumonia near Paducah - there's some question where exactly.
Bill died rather mysteriously, or maybe better - oddly. He was bushwhacked on his way down the Natchez Trace from Nashville and sustained an injury to his stomach.
Nathan died at his brother Jesse's house in Memphis after a fire burned down his cabin.
Jesse lived long and prospered!

Jeffery was shot to death at Okolona.
Aaron died of pneumonia near Paducah - there's some question where exactly.
Bill died rather mysteriously, or maybe better - oddly. He was bushwhacked on his way down the Natchez Trace from Nashville and sustained an injury to his stomach.
Nathan died at his brother Jesse's house in Memphis after a fire burned down his cabin.
Jesse lived long and prospered!
I knew you'd have the answers. Even more reason for the Forum Host position.

Incidentally, just looking over Jeffery Forrest's doings, I was reminded of something Sherman said. He received a report of Forrest being in the vicinity and said, "Which one?" They all gave him nightmares!

Yesterday, someone asked Dr. Beck if Jeffrey had the same reputation for a fighter as Bedford. He said he didn't know as there was not much written about him. We thought he had just been promoted to a brigade commander either in January or February before he was killed.
I would like to hear more about him.

Yesterday, someone asked Dr. Beck if Jeffrey had the same reputation for a fighter as Bedford. He said he didn't know as there was not much written about him. We thought he had just been promoted to a brigade commander either in January or February before he was killed.
I would like to hear more about him.

I've been interested for some time in the operations of Forrest's brothers in support of his, and in their individual raids. I do know that Aaron burned down his neighbor's plantation - the neighbor was a Unionist! After the war this guy sued for reparations - I don't know the outcome but perhaps that's what happened to Aaron's plantation. Forrest promoted his brothers sparingly, to avoid appearing to favor family, and did so only when they had proven themselves. There's just not much information on them.

One of my ancestors was killed during the battle. His company commander returned the bloody jacket back to the family, and later married one of the sisters.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tn4cav/brandon1.html

In Dr. Beck's book, he lists the cavalry regiments that were part of his expedition. I don't see the 4 Tenn Cavalry. There was the 4 US Regulars.
Were they part of his organization? Did they join up later? Or we they a diversion?

One of the several historical markers titled "Battle of Okolona" is about 1/2 mile north of the town on Hiway 45 (Alt). It describes the attack by Barteau's regiment (it seemed to be large enough for a brigade. Beck said they had 600. In his book he said 1200, which seems too high).
General Forrest ordered Barteau's 2 (aka 20) Tenn Cavalry to follow the Union retreat on the Eastern flank. General Forrest drove the Union out of West Point as they retreated the 60 miles to Okolona. Then Barteau lined his regiment along the Railroad on the north side of town. General Forrest road out along the entire length of the regiment and then returned to the center and ordered a charge. US Gen. Smith's men were formed up just West of the road(Hiway 45). He had just ordered 2 brigades to form into column and start moving towards Pontotoc---when Barteau's regiment struck them.

This is a photo looking East from Hiway 45(Alt) to the RailRoad, just in front of the water tower. Note the terrain is what was typical of the prairie.
Okolona__ 021-Prairie.jpg

Forrest tried desperately to catch Smith at Okolona and hit him from 3 sides. If Smith could escape Okolona and get on the Pontotoc Road, his line of retreat would be safe from attack. The terrain changed drastically just West of the town. Here is a photo taken at Prairie Mount, which was only 5 miles up the road. This is where they held the reenactment this weekend.
The terrain was hilly and dense with trees---then as well as now. This is the most important thing I learned about the Battle of Okolona while visiting the site.

Okolona__ 028-Prairie Mount.jpg

Here is the marker at Prarie Mount about 6 miles NW of town on Hiway 41. This records the death of Col Forrest and Lt-Col. Barksdale.
Steve: The drive I was talking about on Facebook is between Prairie Mount and the Union graves I believe. There is a very old oak that you can see from the Pontotoc Road. I believe the tree had some connection to the battle. Can you fill that in or am I misremembering?

Chuck

Steve: The drive I was talking about on Facebook is between Prairie Mount and the Union graves I believe. There is a very old oak that you can see from the Pontotoc Road. I believe the tree had some connection to the battle. Can you fill that in or am I misremembering?

Chuck

I'd like to know about that, too. I've heard that Jeffrey's body was taken to a house and left to rest under an oak tree. Would that be the tree you mention?

I'd like to know about that, too. I've heard that Jeffrey's body was taken to a house and left to rest under an oak tree. Would that be the tree you mention?
That's the story I was thinking of but it's not near the house that Steve posted the picture of. It's on private property....as I found out when I met the owner pulling into his property. He didn't seem pleased at first but when I told him why I was there he was interested and we talked for a few minutes.

Back