Forrest GENERAL FORREST LOSES HIS YOUNGER BROTHER…

Marker locating where Col. Forrest died.
Also mentions the 5 Miss Cavalry.

View attachment 30756

Col. Forrest was taken to one house close by. Then he was finally taken to this house in the town of Okolona.
General Forrest was also taken there when he was wounded at Battle of Harrisburg---I believe it was.

View attachment 30757
Thanks for posting the pics. I wish I could have been there this weekend.

Those are great pics! I've never seen that house before. Grand old thing, isn't it? I understand that it was from one of those upper windows that Forrest first spied King Philip and fell in love!
OK Miss Member of the Month :smile: . . .

If you know what window Forrest was looking out when he saw King Philip, the matter is settled.
You HAVE to host a forum about the General :thumbsup:

Confederate Cemetery at Okolona,
Most are marked Unknown Soldier.
However, somewhere I have an "original" list of soldiers that were buried there. They had the names of them but I guess the headstones were lost and mixed up.

General Wirt Adams is in the center of the right section, about even with the tree.

CSA Graves.jpg

Jeffrey Forrest was a good asset for Forrest. He often operated in concert with his brother's campaigns to distract the enemy, etc. He was at Ft Donelson when Forrest made his famous getaway. The scouts said there were pickets out on the creek but the Forrest brothers checked it themselves. It was a fence! So, they were able to get some troops out during the night.

Found the painting.
"Sound the Charge" by Dave Gallon
It does depict the death of his brother.
View attachment 30754

Thanks for identifying the painting.

View attachment 30728

Nathan Bedford Forrest raised his brother Jeff from the time he was born. Jeff had been born just four months after the death of their father, William. Of all the Forrest brothers who served under NBF, Jeffrey was the favorite.

Thanks for posting the painting. I was not familiar with this Dale Gallon work.

Incidentally, just looking over Jeffery Forrest's doings, I was reminded of something Sherman said. He received a report of Forrest being in the vicinity and said, "Which one?" They all gave him nightmares!
See . . . another fact that most of us never knew !

TAG.
You're IT :thumbsup:

You've gotta be the host of a General Nathan Bedford Forrest forum.

. . . Seriously !

Back