General Forrest Gun Shop

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
In the early days of the CW when Forrest was just a Col, if he need a gun repaired he took it to the Memphis gun shop of Schneider & Glassick. I ran across these ordnance documents today and they give a good insight to what type guns Forrest had in his command.

They also made one of the rarest CS revolver known. William Schneider and Frederick Glassick had been independent gunsmiths plying the Mississippi River trade before the War apparently making and selling derringers as well as guns made by others. By 1860 they were listed in the Memphis City Directory as Schneider & Glassick, guns, pistols, etc. In the December 8, 1861 Memphis Daily Appeal ran a very short article praising beautiful weapon, not inferior to Colts make in any particular. It is not clear how many revolvers S & G made, but historians guesstimate production at one revolver a week for either less than 20 but certainly no more than 55-55. While starting in December of 1861, things ran well until the beginning of March 1862 when the Daily Appeal ran a notice from Schneider & Glassick On March 7, 1862 that they were closing down and customers should come in to collect their guns by the 13th as they would be turned over to the Confederacy. By March 15, 1862 Memphis was in Union hands and Schneider and Glassick were done.
Fold3_Page_17.jpg
Fold3_Page_18.jpg
Fold3_Page_58.jpg
Fold3_Page_35.jpg
Fold3_Page_33.jpg

@ucvrelics
I was looking for the thread where someone asked what weapons would be carried by Cavalry. It included discussion about how many revolvers they carried etc.
I said I would get an inventory of Forrest's Cavalry Corps. I found the list!
But I can't find the thread.

Back