General, Dog of the 51st Pennsylvania Volunteers

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Official Vendor
Small black dog illustration.jpg

(This is not General, but he is a small black dog who looks like he's had a disturbing premonition.)

One indication of the high regard soldiers and veterans held for their dogs is the dogs’ frequent inclusion in memoirs and regimental histories. More rare is a dog’s obituary in a newspaper. A Pennsylvania newspaper’s 1863 obituary for General, a dog of the 51st​ Pennsylvania Volunteers, recalls the affection he earned from his soldiers and an apparent act of treachery that caused his death after his return to civilian life.

General’s story appears in the regiment’s 1869 history:

“While the regiment lay at Winchester, Ky., Capt. E. [Edward] Schall, of Co. D, resigned his commission and went home. He took with him a small black dog, named “General.” This dog had been in the regiment before its organization at Camp Curtin. When brought there, he was under four weeks of age; as he got older, he grew in size and in the affections of the men. He followed the fortunes of the 51st​ P.V. from that time up to the resignation of his master, in May 1863. ‘General’ was with the regiment at the taking of Roanoke Island, Newbern, Camden, second Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Sulphur Springs, Fredericksburg, and in all the marches from Camp Curtin to Winchester, Ky. When he returned to Norristown, Pa., it was only to enjoy life a few short months. A notice of his death, which appeared in one of the papers of that town, of October 20th​, 1863, says:

‘DEAD—The dog ‘General’ departed last night from this world. Quite a history is connected with his life. He joined the 51st​ regiment at Harrisburg, (or we might say was impressed into the service by ‘Buglum’ Taylor,) he followed the fortunes of the regiment through North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Kentucky; he passed safely through all the battles fought by that regiment; he was the pet of that regiment as well as of the 2d brigade. It is supposed that he was poisoned, inasmuch as no mark could be found on his body. It was evidently the spite work of some malicious person. His remains were placed in a neat little box, and buried in the corner of a yard. A small marble stone, with suitable inscriptions, marks his resting place.’”

~From “History of the 51st regiment of P.V. and V.V., from its organization, at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Pa., in 1861, to its being mustered
out of the United States service at Alexandria, Va., July 27th, 1865,”
by (Capt.) Thomas H. Parker

(The illustration above is from "Researches into the history of the British dog, from ancient laws, charters, and historical records. With original anecdotes, and illustrations of the nature and attributes of the dog. From the poets and prose writers of ancient, medieval, and modern times," by George R. Jesse, published in 1866.)

Last edited:
It may have been congestive heart failure--I've lost two terriers to that (it may be prevalent in that breed). The poor animal simply stops living. I hope it was that because it's easier for the dog (but not for its people).

I'm sorry for the loss of your dogs, @Fairfield. It's always hard to lose a wonderful dog. You raise a good point, such a condition would be less traumatic for the dog than poisoning. Maybe General's death was just that, and he died of natural causes.

Indeed, all dogs and cats go to heaven, but no such "malicious person" ever gets close.

Ah. Yes, dogs live like they understand where they're headed from Day 1. Were this the case with humans, front page news would look a lot different.

And drat it @LoyaltyOfDogs , I always read CWT doggie stories ready to flinch. They tend to include a sad ending! I think I'll choose to believe the newspapers got it wrong and at least adopt @Fairfield 's explanation.:angel:

Back