General Buford on the Chambersburg Pike

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
buford pike1.jpg

The Gettysburg art work on the right depicts General John Buford directing Calef's Battery to the north side of the Chambersburg Pike on McPherson Ridge on the morning of July 1, 1863. For comparison, on the left is a photograph of what remained of the McPherson farm ca. 1900. The farm house had burned to the ground a few years before leaving only the chimney standing which can be seen at the left. Notice the wagon shed next to the barn had been rotated 90 degrees some time after the battle and the barn itself had been left in disrepair unlike the restored structure we see today.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 135360

The Gettysburg art work on the right depicts General John Buford directing Calef's Battery to the north side of the Chambersburg Pike on McPherson Ridge on the morning of July 1, 1863. For comparison, on the left is a photograph of what remained of the McPherson farm ca. 1900. The farm house had burned to the ground a few years before leaving only the chimney standing which can be seen at the left. Notice the wagon shed next to the barn had been rotated 90 degrees some time after the battle and the barn itself had been left in disrepair unlike the restored structure we see today.
Thanks for posting!
Does anyone have a current photo of the scene from that angle? (I'm a sucker for these comparisons, then and now)....

Thanks for posting!
Does anyone have a current photo of the scene from that angle? (I'm a sucker for these comparisons, then and now)....
It's funny. I have a zillion photos of the battlefield and not one is of that farm. I've got dozens of the ridge from both the east and west and not one includes even a portion of any of the farm buildings.

It's funny. I have a zillion photos of the battlefield and not one is of that farm. I've got dozens of the ridge from both the east and west and not one includes even a portion of any of the farm buildings.
Thanks for your response.
Maybe someone else in the Forum has one or could take one in an upcoming visit....

OK then, I have two more perspectives. This next one better shows the orientation. I was standing near the monument marking the spot where John Reynolds was shot. It's just out of the picture, to the left. I believe they intend for that pair of trees to the left of the barn to mark the location of the old house.

DSC07842.JPG

This is from the opposite side of the Chambersburg Pike:
DSC07844.JPG

Back