General Braxton Bragg

Probably because Bragg was from North Carolina, was a former artilleryman (Mexican-American War), was (I believe) the highest ranking Confederate from NC, and led the Army of Tennessee. I guess those points trump the fact that Bragg was despised by many of his subordinate commanders.

I've always wondered why so many military bases are named after Confederate generals, good and bad. It seems to be be a favorite son for the state it's in or at least a leader of that state's troops during the war such as Fort Hood.

I've always wondered why so many military bases are named after Confederate generals, good and bad. It seems to be be a favorite son for the state it's in or at least a leader of that state's troops during the war such as Fort Hood.

Everything that you posted is true. But it brings up another question: How did a major fort in the state of Alabama (Anniston,AL) wind up named after a federal general: George McClellan? I have always scratched my head about that one.

According to Fort McClellan´s homepage it has the name because it was used for quick training and as mobilisation camp (for WW I), likely related to McClellan´s abilities - and the first troops trained there where from NJ.

I think this explain why he was so hated men would be shot for the smallest infractions of the rules

"Co. Aytch"
by
Sam R. Watkins

THE COURT MARTIAL AT TUPELO

At this place was held the grand court-martial. Almost every day we
would hear a discharge of musketry, and knew that some poor, trembling
wretch had bid farewell to mortal things here below. It seemed to be
but a question of time with all of us as to when we too would be shot.
We were afraid to chirp. So far now as patriotism was concerned, we had
forgotten all about that, and did not now so much love our country as we
feared Bragg. Men were being led to the death stake every day. I heard
of many being shot, but did not see but two men shot myself. I do not
know to what regiment they belonged, but I remember that they were mere
beardless boys. I did not learn for what crime or the magnitude of their
offenses. They might have deserved death for all I know.

I just have to post my favorite Bragg story from Grant's memoirs, as I chuckle every time i read it.

He submitted a requisition for supplies for his company, then as quartermaster declined to fill it. As company commander, he resubmitted the requisition, giving additional reasons for his requirements, but as the quartermaster he denied the request again. Realizing that he was at a personal impasse, he referred the matter to the post commandant, who exclaimed, "My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!"

More than anything else, I think you have to look at congress and who was occupying the leadership roles. The south learned early on that if they returned the same people to office, then eventually they would up as chairmen of various and sundry committies ( far fewer committees in those days) and from those positio9ns of power, they could influence the naming of military installations... and so we have Fts Polk, Bragg, Hood, Rucker, etc, etc..

Well the original Fort Bragg was established in California in 1857, it was eventually shut down and reopened in North Carolina. So Fort Bragg is named for Bragg because of role in the Mexican War. Also as to his peers disliking him, depends on who you asked, some liked him. Also, just one thing of note, Joe Johnston had more soldiers executed at Dalton than Bragg did in his entire career as commander of the Army of Tennessee.

It was named after North Carolinian Braxton Bragg to appease the people of NC that DID NOT want the Federal Government to open an artillery training facility for WWI within the State of NC. It's original name was Camp Bragg. It was not appreciated in the Cape Fear Region (which Fayetteville is part of), and the name was objected too, along with the camp. I remember an old gentleman in Wilmington, when hearing that Fort Bragg was named after one of his confederate heroes, the man spat on the floor and said "he ain't no hero."

Most major military training installations were in the South, because of its milder winters facilitating training(less lost days due to weather) and plenty of empty land, for maneuvers etc., .
What better way to assuage southern state pride for being chosen as sites for Yankee forts than naming them after their southern military heroes(real or imaginary).

Back